Reese Still Feels Deal With McNair Still Possible

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Despite the rumors of a trade to the Baltimore Ravens, Tennessee Titans GM Floyd Reese still feels it's possible a deal can be worked out where QB Steve McNair can remain with his team. But fundamental demands such as McNair and Cook’s stance of not taking a pay cut from his $9 million base and the quarterback’s desire to have guaranteed money and playing time beyond 2006 are still at issue. “I think if you asked Steve what his preference would be, he’d say it would be to be here, and I think our preference would be to have him here,” Reese said. “I’m not saying it’s anyone’s fault, but, you get all that other stuff involved, and you don’t know what will happen.” Both sides have been quiet as arbiter John Feerick plans to rule on McNair's grievance by June 1.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Possible? Maybe. Like it's possible to be struck by lightning.

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Anything is possible, the question is how probable it is.

4. H Man

H Man Guest

That's what I'm talkin' about. A little reason...comin' from at least one side.

5. fltitan

fltitan Guest

StarKiller if we were to do a 4 yr contract with 12m signing bonus and 1.1m per yr salary how much difference would that make in cap room for this year. I think with something like this and getting some of the vets to restructure to keep Steve we might have room this year and the cap goes up significantly in 2007. I hope we can find a way to get this done if so we may be much better than anyone thinks this year. Its also possible that this is just Reese trying to get an offer or better offer from Baltimore.

6. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

i think its more an issue of playing time and hurt feelings more than anything right now. everybody would love to have mcnair back but he wants to play... excuse me... start for the next 3+ years... that aint gonna happen in tennessee anymore. the only way i could see him stay is a two year deal... with an option to be traded before the second year if vince is gonna start.

still wouldnt happen because bud hurt steves feelings.. been hurtin for a while letting eddie and mason go

7. In theory, it would save us tons of room (around $14M). But it's not going to happen.

8. TitanBlitz

TitanBlitz Camp Fodder

As much as I would like Big Mac back as I see as him to be the best option to winning (and my sentimental favorite)...I Reeses comments a high stakes game of chicken. What does he have to lose by saying it? I hope I am wrong and movement does actually happen as a result...and eventually McNair re-signs with TN, but with the contract the Billick team has thrown out in B-more, I don't know how it will happen...

9. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Yeah. This is nothing more than a PR ploy, so when he finally is traded/released, Floyd can say "we tried til the very end to get him to stay, but we just couldnt work it out."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar