Regular Season game in London

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by LazyManJackson, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Racism and the Pan british thing..

I assume that a Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales will not support an NFL team but does it really matter? Almost 50 million people live in England.

On the ugly side of English racism maybe childress has a point. White English boxers always receive far more support and a greater intensity of support than the black dudes get. I know frank bruno was popular but nothing like tony sibson would have been had he beaten marvin hagler. Well, who are we kidding here? And of course the most popular english boxer of them all davey boy green!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6__DmwNFTfU&mode=related&search=

2. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Not sure how to put those you tube thingos in here, but here are some examples of big hits in Rugby League. Rugby Union has this soft rule that prohibits players from making "Shoulder charges". I love Rugby League and HATE Rugby Union. As GoT says there is a massive difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFgpLf9ho4o

3. <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xvMFHXcd0yQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xvMFHXcd0yQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

There's a big debate on which sport is tougher football or rugby if you click on this vid....

4. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

It's not a soft side...it's real rugby. Anybody can shoulder check someone, try having to use your arms to make a real tackle or it is illegal. If you hate union you have probably never played union.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

My take on rugby...

I only played it in gym class in high school but my take is that the big hits as shown are not the biggest problem it's the constant bashing of knees and elbows while you fight for the ball.

Notice how the rugby ball carriers run so high up because they have no protection on their heads.

The most brutal violent game in the history of team sports was American football in it's earliest stages. College football in the early years caused many deaths and serious injuries. Still more like rugby back then but imagine a scrum with a 40 yard head start? That's what kickoffs used to be like. One wedge of guys running full speed into another wedge of guys and no head gear!

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

the difference is the league officials for rugby still allow the players to hit. they dont baby their players likfe the nfl does. i would say that is the main reason why anyone would consider rugby tougher.

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Not true. I played fullback in Union for 2 years at School. I got frustrated that the rules of the game encouraged me to kick the ball rather than run with it (particularly in my own 22).

Played league for about 5 years (alternating between centre and fullback) and loved every minute of it.

8. Union is and was horrible to play at school, league is fun but you get exhausted, your fighting for your life sometimes out there in union, guys who are nice outside of rugby turn into maniacs when they play it...

I may affend people here when I say I prefer tennis to rugby and soccer...

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

so in other words you're soft...:brow:

10. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Being in the pack I hated kicking too.....made me run more than I liked. If you were a FB I can see where you would prefer League. I loved the scrums in Union, and the rucks. Big guys get more chances to run the ball in union also. I have never played league, but have watched it a lot. To me union is more like football. It's all good. (and I can't believe someone mentioned soccer and rugby in the same sentence...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar