Remember what the Saints did to get Ricky?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SwingOnDeezBalz, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwingOnDeezBalz

SwingOnDeezBalz Banger of Infant Horseys

It didn't pay off. Trading an excessive amount of money and talent for a single, unproven player rarely works in the NFL.

The Colts tried it with Jeff George and Chargers traded 3 picks and 2 players in order to draft Leaf. I'm also pretty sure that the Saints deal to get Ricky was less than favorable.

But the point is, it happens, and anything that "happens" can eventually "work." The Broncos gave up a good deal in order to sign a young John Elway, who had yet to suit up for an NFL team.

If ever this gamble would pay off, it would be this year with the Titans and Calvin Johnson.

Rarely do you see a great QB and a great WR in consecutive drafts. You can get them together, but like Marvin and Peyton, Joe and Jerry, Young and Jerry, Bradshaw and Swann, Aikman and Irvin, and Unitas and Berry, but none of those tandems were within 2 years of eachother in terms of draft classes.

All of those tandems have several things in common, but the most important is a super bowl ring (or two, or three, or four?).

Am I ready to call Vince Young an all-time great? Not in the least. Am I ready to call Calvin Johnson an all-time great? How could I?

Would I bet money that together, they'd make each other great? You've got yourself a bet.

Neither have proven very much in terms of NFL career achievments, but between the two of them, they have already proven this:

-VY is the only big, fast, durable passer in the league
    -Calvin will be the only WR in the NFL that big, that fast, and that coachable.
    -Calvin is among the fastest players ever
    -Both show an incredible work ethic and dedication to the game. It's not just for the paycheck
    -VY has a Pro-Bowl under his belt
    -If Calvin plays with a Pro-Bowl QB and doesn't make the Pro-Bowl himself, then Satan should invest in a snowblower

I suspect that the response to this thread will be an influx of doubt, contradiction, and ridicule. A lot of you will say that you wouldn't want to trade 3 picks and 2 starters for this to happen. I think that you just say you don't want it because you know it won't happen.

There are only a few more days to consider this, so the issue will die shortly, but I guarantee you, Calvin Johnson on the Titans would change the landscape of the NFL.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Huh? Ricky Williams? Oh yeah, he was a bust. Hmmm...

3. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I wouldn't mind trading our first, third, and both fourth rounders, possibly add a sixth in there if necessary. Idk if I'd include any players, we don't have many expendable players that are good enough to improve the deal that much. The other thing we've got going for us if we try to do this is that we have 10 draft picks this year, the Saints traded their entire draft board for Ricky Williams in 1999, we wouldn't have to do that, I think we could still keep enough of our picks to find a few gems late in the draft. Honestly, if we traded up to get CJ, I don't think I'd argue no matter what the price was, we really don't have that many gaping holes, I think we have serviceable players in most position with enough of a sprinkling of stars to produce at least a decent team. I could definately get used to VY to CJ :yes:

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

swing,

you're preaching to the chior my friend.

5. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

if we could trade up to get calvin for a 1st 3rd and both 4ths that would be nice....

6. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I'm bored, I'll check the draft value chart and see how much it'd take us to move up to #2 (assuming the Raiders take Russell)

7. mdfan

mdfan Starter

Suppose we went after him...

Oakland has to go QB. To make sure we get CJ we'd have to trade with Detroit and they will probably get a few offers.

Looking at the draft trade value chart http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/valuechart.html it looks like we'd have to give up all our picks and throw in at least one player to have a chance to get him.

8. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

yeah, the fact that we're picking #19 really hurts any chances of moving up that high, according to that chart that mdfan posted (I found a similar one on NFL.com that I looked at) the #19 pick is worth 875 points and #2 is worth 2600, that's a lot of points to make up. All of our picks total to a little over 1600, which would be good enough to get us to #6 overall, but that's not gonna get us Johnson, we'd have to include a player and/or future picks. If we bundle our first and second this year with our first next year that'd get us to #3 (875 for this year's first, 400 for this year's second, and 1000 for the first next year, based on the middle pick of the first round) he might be there at three, and I don't think I'd really mind making that trade for Johnson.

9. SwingOnDeezBalz

SwingOnDeezBalz Banger of Infant Horseys

Well, even if it costs you 5 picks and a player, that's 6 total players.

History tells us that of those 6, at least 2 won't ever make the team anyway, and at least 2 more won't stay with the Titans long enough to blossom into anything.

So in the end, I'm calculating that you completely miss out on 2 players total. Even if those two guys become ball players in the long run, does their value exceed that of a QB/WR tandem that's good enough for the history books?

If you signed Young and Johnson each to 9 year contracts, you're going to be serious contenders for a minimum of 6 years. Period.

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Swing, I'd agree with you, except for the risk factor. Neither Vince nor Calvin is a "sure thing". I think it would do an amazing thing for our team, possibly a bigger step than any other single move. However, it requires a HUGE price, and takes a HUGE risk. The payoff could be great, but with as much money involved in the process as there is, no team would take that chance. If we were closer to the top half, maybe. If we could trade to somewhere closer to the 5-8 picks, definitely. But to jump from 19 to 1 or 2 is too much to ask.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar