Report: Titans about to walk on Finny

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dtm586, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

If you use that profootballfocus website you were using the other day, you'd see that Jonathan Joseph was the #1 CB in the league this year.

So to say he's not in the top 10 is silly.

2. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

Of all positions in the NFL I would say corner is the hardest to rate stats wise. It's so dependent on the scheme played, and so heavily based on not having gaudy stats...if that makes sense?

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Well the blame is on the FO because they didn't even try to negotiate a deal. No counter offer or anything.

But it's all good because this just furthers our reputation as the franchise that does not care about its own players. I think it's important to the Titans FO to have that reputation.

4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

You don't know how the negotiations went. Maybe Finny's agent said they wouldn't sign for anything less than 10mil a yr and the Titans said fine we won't be offering you a contract until you lower your demands. Usually both sides are at fault to some degree when negotiations fall through.

If Finny truely wants to be a Titan then he could agree to take less. The Titans obviously don't want to pay him 10mil a yr. They think they have 2 starting CBs in Verner and McCourty and feel they can fill the NB role for much cheaper. It is a risk they are willing to take.

5. Alex1939

No reason to not believe Finny, multiple examples to believe the Titans FO didn't even try to negotiate.

6. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Did you ever hear Finny say that he changed his demands? I never heard that. If Finny's camp was dead set on a deal that would pay him top CB money ie 10mil a yr and the Titans were deadset on not going to that number then their is no need to negotiate.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. MrBean

MrBean Master of Not Much

Except that last year he already showed he was willing to lie to everyone.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Alex1939

Good point I forgot about that.

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

The Titans front office was under no obligation to make him an offer. They decided they wanted to move on and, based on reports, they informed him of this in a professional way. They did not string him along or lowball him, as many teams would have. They simply advised him that they would be moving on.

You can criticize the Titans for making the wrong decision from a football standpoint, but not from a business standpoint. This is the kind of move that will help their reputation among players. Lowballing a guy is worse than not making an offer and plenty of teams lowball players.

Finnegan might have had his feelings hurt, but that's his problem. The Titans are well within their rights here and any player with half a brain would realize that.

The Titans have, in recent years, almost always been right about when to let players move on for (often big) contracts elsewhere. Jacob Bell. Drew Bennett. Albert Haynesworth. Keith Bulluck.

I feel as weird about this as most of you do. It feels like Finnegan is a crucial part of the team. I am forcing myself to believe that the Titans will be right about this decision, like most of the others. We'll see.

10. Alex1939

You can say they were right all you want. You can say I have half a brain all you want.

But the bottom line is our reputation is crap amongst NFL players regarding how we treat our own players. It's really not disputable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar