Report: Titans to add Vet, Locker 2nd

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dtm586, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

You have to think about money in this equation also.

Collins is not going to take a big paycut to be our QB. He was getting around 6.5 mil the past 2 yrs I believe.

I'd rather pay a short term QB a bunch less and use the other money to improve the team in the long run.

Be prepared for a down yr and another high draft pick.

I would just assume go 4-12 with a cheap QB than go 8-8 with Collins.

Although I really feel that Gradkowski and the other QBs we've talked about are on par with Collins at this point in his career.

2. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Collins' 40,000 yards mean absolutely nothing at this point of his career. Randy Moss has 15,000 yards, want to cut Damian Williams for him?

Collins can barely throw a football over 20 yards and any sign of a pass rush, it's a wasted down. Why bother starting him when you know we'll be forced to throw in Locker (when he's not ready like we did to VY) by week 5 when we start 0-4.

Also, no to Bruce, don't see why anyone's sold on him, he had one subpar game against the worst defense in the league.

I'd give Hasselbeck a shot though, he had a few games over a 100 rating, and keep in mind he was dealing with one of the worst offenses in the league.

3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I seriously doubt that KC will be back. My bet is he will retire, he's 38 and just needs to retire. I'm hoping for Matt Hasselbeck on a 2-year deal. Locker sits the first year, and could compete his 2nd year.

Hasselbeck has been subpar the last couple years, but didn't have the greatest offense. I still think he has a little juice left.

4. tenforthewin

tenforthewin Camp Fodder

rotoworld says Hasselbeck wants to be paid "more than Kerry Collins' 7 million the past couple years". He actually used Collins as the aging vet example. We may have actually screwed ourselves 2 years ago by giving Collins that big of a contract Lol. Anyway, I'm not sure how much they're willing to pay for a vet QB, I'd say not that much when they "might" decide to pay CJ.

5. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Hasselbeck is a bigger troll than dbc.

6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

The Titans are tight with their money at times, but they don't seem to have a problem paying veteran QBs a lot of money. I think (hope) they will spend whatever it takes to get the right mentor for Locker. It will be money well spent.

7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I concur, I mean once we get rid of players like:

Vince Young - $8.5 million salary in '11 and $4.25 million bonus.
    Chris Hope - $6.5 million salary in '11 (same as Ed Reed :sad2:)
    Justin Gage - $3.5 million salary in '11
    Jovan Haye - $3.0 million salary in '11

If we cut those 4 players, we'd have an extra $25.75 million dollars in spending money.

I'm fine with giving Hasselbeck a decent contract, we need someone to mentor Locker.

8. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

what's scafe getting? he needs to be cut as well...
    that extra money can go ways into securing a good OL, S and LB as we need to get some depth in that position

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The Titans should have a nice chunk of $$$ to spend once FA starts.

A big chunk of that should go to CJ. Then I think we need to upgrade interior OL and then safety position. If Michael Huff ends up being a FA we should make a move for him. I'd also like Carl Nicks from the Saints as a bruiser inside.

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

LOL - It's gonna be Collins. He lives here, (ahem) knows the receivers, won't get top dollar anywhere else and he has already shown he's willing to be the teacher/ step aside guy. And of course there's the inference that the offense isn't going to change much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar