Retiring #1

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nigel, Sep 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060923/SPORTS01/609230365/1027

Its about time.

Warren came to the University of Washington when I was a five year old living in Seattle, and was first starting to get into sports. Watching him give the Wolverines their second of three straight Rose Bowl loses in 78 is still one of my fall time favorite football games.

So even if the game against the Cowboys sucks, I'll have something to look forward to.

[​IMG]

2. Overalls

Overalls Starter

That cool of Y'all to honor another teams player.

One day your own team may have someone worth honoring.

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

LMAO.

I think you'll find that the Titans as an organisation are still the Oilers underneath. The team that Warren Moon played for is here & he will be with us for the day for good reason.

You sent this team away because of a dispute over a new stadium. Houstonian politicians & voters couldn't agree to stump up the 'moo'la to help Bud pay for a new stadium so he took his team to where it would be appreciated.

You Overalls still rooted for that team before the Texans bandwagon taxed its way into your wallets.

The only history that the crappy Texans have is making hilarious draft picks.

Remember that snappy new stadium that you had to build to get the Texans?. If you'd done that for the Oilers Moon would be coming to Houston to see his number retired.

:huh: Go figure

4. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Oilers' history is Titans' history. You can try to delude yourself into thinking otherwise but that's all it is, a delusion. Warren Moon is one of the best players in this club's history; that sorry @ssed franchise that resides in Houston should at least try to build their own legacy instead of co-opting someone elses.

5. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

The Oilers are the Titans. The cows were just made to entertain the league by being terrible and creating controversy during the draft.

6. Overalls

Overalls Starter

Saturday, September 23, 2006
    ArchivesWorld U.S. N.Y. / Region Business Technology Science Health Sports Opinion Arts Style Travel Jobs Real Estate Autos SPORTS PEOPLE; Oilers to Stay Put
    Print Save

Published: October 27, 1987LEAD: The Houston Oilers' owner, Bud Adams, spurned an offer from Jacksonville, Fla., yesterday and announced he would keep the team in Houston. ''This is my home,'' Adams said. ''I've been here 41 years. I could have gone to Jacksonville for a lot more money.'' Adams and his family toured the Florida city several weeks ago.

The Houston Oilers' owner, Bud Adams, spurned an offer from Jacksonville, Fla., yesterday and announced he would keep the team in Houston. ''This is my home,'' Adams said. ''I've been here 41 years. I could have gone to Jacksonville for a lot more money.'' Adams and his family toured the Florida city several weeks ago. But Adams said he was swayed by a proposal that calls for construction of 72 luxury boxes at the Houston Astrodome to bolster other renovations planned for the stadium, now the National Football League's smallest with a capacity of 50,594. The luxury boxes are among some $50 million in improvements to the Astrodome, which will also get 10,000 more seats and new artificial playing surfaces for baseball and football.

To appease Houston Oiler owner Bud Adams, the scoreboard was torn down in 1988 to put in more seating. The renovations cost almost twice as much ($65 million) as it cost to build the stadium

7. moose4now

moose4now Starter

An honor that is looooooooong overdue.

This should have been done the day he retired.

Good for Warren.

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Umm, hate to break it to you Overalls, but we already know that Adams lives in Houston... his franchice however is now in Nashville, and it was with his franchise that Moon played.

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Overalls

What possible relevance does your last post have.

The astrodome hosted the Oilers for 8 regular season games & the Astros baseball team for what 60-80(I don't follow baseball). Don't try to pin those improvements all on Bud's wish list cos the Astro's were the main beneficiary.

The fact still remains that he wanted a new stadium & you wouldn't share the load. You lost the Oilers through poor loyalty when it counted. The fact that you later went on to share the cost of a new stadium anyway is impossible to deny.

The next time your sat in the two seats you fill:whoop: at Reliant you might want to reflect on why your watching the Texans instead of the Oilers.

Warren:moon2: :moon2: is ours :jumpropeb

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Then 10 years later what was done then was not enough.

I'm really disappointed in you Overalls. I can't believe that you can be that cold. Really. Tell us your kidding. Tell me you are not that disconnected. Really takes away from any intrigue we thought you might have had. You really are making a great case for

:bs: <---this smilie.

Really man. I have to call BS on that 1987 stuff. (trying with respect) The next decade your city struck out or broke the camels back... or whatever you want to call it. Bud packed it up and left 'cause I reckon' he'd had enough. Maybe he thought Nashville wasn't Jacksonville ...but he tried to make it work.

He wanted the pro football palace befitting to the state of texas and his legacy in pro football from his roots in the afl. the nfl early years, the merger, the FA era, y2k, and beyond. Maybe he could only feel so unwanted for so long. Maybe he thought he might be able to sell tickets to his team's games if he moved it to a new city with a new, dedicated stadium. Maybe he didn't want to invite people into a facility that he himself was not proud of.

Really man. I can't believe you would dishonor one of your all time favorite players by fronting like that. When do you ever come out of character and show your character? We are talking about a man who played for Bud Adams' team who never took a snap in Titans uni. This franchise is a long running storied franchise that you were once proud of. It's had it's ups and downs. I'm really at a loss for your take Overalls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar