Ridiculous salaries..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PitBull, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

So all this talk about Plaxico Burress refusing to work out until he gets a new contract got me thinking how spoiled NFL players really are. I'm sure most folks who visit here are full time employees working their butts off, and I'm sure many might even find it difficult to make ends meet and can only dream of the same lavish lifestyle which is being unappreciated by many NFL players.

"Boo hoo hoo.. I'm only making 3.25 mill this year, and I want more.. I want to be treated fairly"

Screw you Burress.. No better yet, screw the system which allows professional entertainers to get paid that much. I'm sure I can point to atleast 4 of my buddies who would gladly donate their left nut for 1 million big ones. Heck snatch em both for another half mill.

Anyway.. if $3.25 doesn’t give you a bulge your pants.. what would? 6? 7?..10? What if Justin Gage was making 15, would McCarins ask for.. 20? How much is enough.

Heck if I was commish I'd set the salary cap at $20 mill, and watch all 53 players throw out their jerseys, work at minimum age for a year or so, and then return 2 years later content with the new decrease. :grrr:

So I decided to fire up excel to determine just how much the top 20 paid WRs and RBs were paid in 2007 based on actual productivity. Do keep in mind that these numbers are simply basic salary and do not include signing bonuses, commissions, bonuses and other factors which in some cases cause the base salary to double.

And before someone responds to this thread with a post such as "well players don't only get paid for carries or catches, they get paid for 8 months of dedication, group workouts, gym workouts, traveling, keeping schedule, jet lags, and so on" (while doing the chicken head), do understand that I do realize that but chose to ignore that fact because being pissed off at being overworked at work while staring at the last column of these numbers is just…. umm.. "fun". :))

Here we go:

[​IMG]

and here's what wideouts get:

[​IMG]

So in conclusion, if for every work email i sent i was to make 10% of what the least paid RB makes per rushing attempt, or what the least paid WR makes per catch, I'd never leave the office, and gladly turn into the dude in Psychop's avatar.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Givens wins!!!

:grrhee:

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

two and one half million dollar catch! :rotfl:

edit: wait, he didn't see the field at all, did he?

4. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

Perhaps he was catching the 2.5 mil they threw at him on the way out?

It's funny how we live in a world where people who dedicate themselves to dangerous jobs day in and day out don't get the kind of money or recognition we lavish upon people who's job it is to star in a movie, bang out a couple songs or play sports. The entertainment industry lords over all!!

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Jesus, he got that much money?

6. Alstott didn't have a carry either. I think he just had to put in a 1 instead of a zero to avoid a divide by zero error...

Either way, there's no doubt that athletes get paid too much relative to the "real world". But that's the way capitalism works.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Considering how much revenue the league takes in in the form of tickets and TV contracts not to mention merchandising... it would kind of seem unfair not to pay them such crazy money. I'd like to see the NFL pay scale be a little less lopsided though. Some players don't really make all that much compared to the best compensated guys. Most everyone hates how the highly drafted rookies make out. I agree with the premise of PitBull's first post. The player greed is spiraling out of control. The players could end up ruining a past time for the rest of us. Us fans, we love watching the game. If I got a real big head on my job and demanded a bunch of money because of so-and-so... they would just fire me if I didn't cool out and the world would keep on spinning. Nobody would be upset that I wasn't doing my thing. Nobody buys a ticket to watch me work.

8. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Yeah. If I was Plex, and I earned my money, I would be mad that Matt Ryan is getting way more money than me.

9. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

especially because of the crazy amount of money that rookies get nowdays. Its ridiculous, before they step foot on the field....

10. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

As Sec300 said, if people are paying $75/tik and filling a 60,000 seat stadium, who deserves that money?

Jerseys range from $60-300 each, and if I saw 200,000 people running around with a D&L Cement shirt with my last name on the back, and a good chunk wasn't going into my pocket, I'd be a little upset too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar