RIP Scott Weiland

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Not a huge surprise - Scott had decades of heroinic demons chasing him.
    Rest in Peace now.
    Always liked the dry sound of this record. Lots of P90 sounds. Drums recorded outside etc.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

sad but not a big surprise

Core was an iconic album

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Was a huge STP fan back in the day. He had been circling the drain for years but still sad.

4. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

How ironic how I was driving home from work jamming to the Purple album when the news broke. So sad. He had probably one of the most distinguishable voices in the music industry.

I'll never forget the day I got hooked on STP. I was 14 and were driving home from having just watched The Crow and Big Empty was playing in the cassette player. STP forever.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

A month or so before they released Core, STP played an invite show at The Edge in Ft Lauderdale. This was while I was working at the record store so we took them up on all those freebie offers even though I had never even heard of STP at that point. We get there before the first band and start shooting the **** with a coupla guys already inside - talking punk rock etc. A little while later those same dudes are onstage - ie STP. It was Scott and Robert.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

At times I wish I had been born about 10 years sooner so that I could have enjoyed the 90s. Grunge, IMO, was the best era for rock. Just so simple and basic, but the writing was just phenomenal.

I am hoping that after this era of excess, that we see another grunge movement, just without the heroin.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Pretty sure it'll never happen again. Ironically STP was possibly the last rock band of that ilk with commercial staying power. Everything is back underground for good. It's still strange to me that grunge is so separated from the underground punk/postpunk scene that preceded it. At the time one thing just went into another. I remember AmRep stuff like Helmet, Sonic Youth and Jesus Lizard were very chic at the time and stuff like Soundgarden etc was of the same scene - then it wasn't.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

You mean like post grunge? Nickleback, fuel, and creed type of bands?

I think it's because the statements are just different. Post grunge is mainly 'whiney and fill sorry for me' while grunge, had those elements, tried to have deeper meanings and just really....all over the place lyrically.

9. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Most of my "glory days" were scored by STP, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, etc.

RIP Scott

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

No, I mean f*ck no.
    I'm talking pre-grunge.
    Rockdocs etc. would have everyone believe it was a clearcut transition of music from LA hair metal to Grunge (like the Mark Wahlberg movie where they are Sunset Strip rockers then cut their hair and move to Seattle LOL) - when the reality was that what people called grunge was already happening - for a long time but it wasn't called anything but punk or rock. Once it got on MTV and had a NW locale associated with it they branded it something new - "grunge".

Nickelback etc. were the ******* step-children grunge pop culture. They didn't eat the same wheaties as the groups before - who all came up on stuff like The Clash and The Dolls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar