Robinson Hit Shouldn't be a Penalty.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Textbook penalty. Valid fine.

Not only that but it's just bad tackling. Doesn't bother trying to get his arms around and wrap up, doesn't bother trying to get low. The only 2 things that can come from that kind of tackling are 1) an injury or 2) a TD.

He's just trying to make Sportscenter or "Jacked Up". ESPN deserves 1/2 of the fines handed out. I love solid football, good tackling, hard hits. The line between that and malicious play isn't nearly as fine as some people would like to think.

2. MCMLXXXIII

MCMLXXXIII Starter

Lot of the head injuries would probably be fixed if the NFL had the refs inspect the players helmets before the game to make sure they properly fit. If it doesn't hurt your ears to take it off, your helmet doesn't fit. Also mandating the Maher mouth guard which is designed to more effectively absorb the shock of a hit on the brain.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Let's not pretend the NFL isn't partially responsible. How many of us grew up watching The NFL's Greatest Hits? For 35+ years that type of hit was not only tolerated but celebrated and encouraged by the league officials.

4. Ghost

Ghost 3 Time US Navy 7th Fleet "Hogging" Champion

I personally think that this is just another load of NFL crap. I loved that hit, looked clean to me, the defender was doing his job trying to separate the ball from the receiver. I guess he was just supposed to let him make a clean catch and then wrap up around his waist :rolleyes:

5. memphis_raven

memphis_raven Starter

They were selling pics of the hits on their web sites but they penalize the players. They replay the hits and the announcers say 'Listen to that hit" but they penalize the player. It's total irony and everyone knows it.

Why don't they make all players wear mouthpieces? That is a very important piece of safety equipment and half the players don't wear them or buckle their chinstraps properly.

It's all an act to appear that they care about the safety of the players

6. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Those are great points, but even enforcing the rules on safety equipment wouldn't have prevented Jackson's concussion. He could have had six couch cushions strapped to his head and his brain would have still been bouncing around in his skull.

I don't like seeing players get hurt. But worse, I don't want to see defenders hesitate to make tackles and in return give up big plays. I don't want to see the integrity of the game undermined for the sake of safety. Players take on a lot of risk to their health to play, and that's part of the reason we pay so much to see them. You wouldn't pay for a PPV where the boxers aren't aloud to hit each other in the head. I'm sure there would be some great technical fights under those conditions, but it just wouldn't be the same without knockouts.

When a player flagrantly tries to injure another player, that player should be penalized in the game, fined, and suspended. Sometimes it's incidental, however, and I believe the Robinson hit was incidental. I agree that something should be done to keep players healthy and reduce injuries, but like most, I'm left wondering if the league handled this properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar