Rookie Griffin Making Impact on Special Teams

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: With CBs Nick Harper and Cortland Finnegan playing well, Michael Griffin's chances to pass them on the depth chart aren't good. So unless there's an injury or the Titans opt to give him work at free safety, his immediate future is on special teams. "Get in where you fit in, I guess," Griffin said. "And special teams is my thing now." Through three games, Griffin has played well on special teams. On eight kickoff returns, including a 48-yarder, he's averaged 26.1 yards. Last season Pacman Jones averaged 26.1 yards on kickoff returns. On punt and kick coverage, Griffin is often the first player downfield to get involved in tackles. Against the Colts, he downed a punt at the 1. "I made a name for myself in college on special teams. The way I see things, anything I can do," Griffin said.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Well, not to say that Special teams isn't important, but this entire draft besides C Davis has been a complete waste. 2 of our top three draft picks NEVER see the field, and our top one only sees special teams play. You could probably get similar ST production from an UDFA.

So far so good..

3. mdfan

mdfan Starter

We've only played three games this year. Give this years draft class some time.

To put things in perspective, Vince had very little action in the first three games last year.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

it'd be nice if he were making an impact on the defense too.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think they have to find a way to get Griffin on the field more. How? I have no clue. It's a good problem to have.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Amen, a good problem, finally!

I'm just glad to see him looking good. Terribly disappointed in Paul Williams, too early to tell on Chris Henry.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Not a problem. He's just a rookie so i'm not bothered that he isn't starting for us now. He provides us with solid depth at 2 positions and is a fine all around special team player.

Sometime this season perhaps more than once he will make a big time play on special teams. He'll block a kick, force a fumble or maybe return a kick for a TD. He will make an impact and i would hardly call him a wasted draft pick. Samari rolle didn't start his rookie year in 98 and bulluck a 2000 pick didn't start until his 3rd season in 02.

As far as rating our rookie class my goodness we have 2 picks on IR and the jury is still out on paul williams and leroy harris. I do have my doubts about henry but even he could be a contributer somehow.

8. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

David Stewart didn't get activated in 05.

That didn't seem to hurt our team too much. I see Leroy being in the same situation. He will get bigger, stronger, and more skilled under our coaching and be ready to fill in as needed.

What we don't want is what the Eagles had last night. A inexperienced (although second year) offensive lineman giving up 6 sacks in one night.

9. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

It shouldnt be a problem i think the way griffen is covering at cb tells you a good idea of his what already are great coverage skills; matchin up w/ top wrs 1 on 1 sometimes and in college he already has a rep of being stout gainst the run...turns out he's just as good in passing coverage...sure some rookie errors are to come...but put him at safty...he's too good to be sp player and defintily any 1st round pick has to be in the plans for the long run (future hope/griffen safty combo...r ya kiddin...behind pacman and finnagan.....damn:grrhee: )

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Leroy harris might be nothing more than a solid backup at guard and tackle the way amano has been. Even then he wouldn't be a bad draft pick..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar