Rookie Predictions

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CJtheBeast, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I've been reading through a lot of the threads and felt it was time for some new blood on the boards. What are your opinions on who will have the best year out of the rookies? Who will be the biggest sleeper pick among the group?

2. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Wright will have the best year.

Thompson is the biggest sleeper. I think he'll get some PT later in the season. I think perhaps one reason he was drafted was to push Cook in a contract year. If Cook doesn't produce like we've been waiting for him to do, and Thompson looks promising, we could see Cook walk.

3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Wright will have a solid year with solid, but not spectacular numbers.

People will still argue about Zach Brown.

Martin will have a solid year, but he is a DL, so it is sometimes hard to measure.

Sensebaugh is my sleeper pick.

Thompson will be in secret weapon status all year.

People will still argue about Ma. Martin.

Solomon will probably be renting a place for now.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Sensabaugh will get a long look at the nickel which means he could be producing from day one. I think we'll see Mike Martin in the DT rotation as well. I would think one of these two will have the best season just based on opportunity.

Because the WR position takes longer to learn, and there is already solid depth at the position (assuming Britt is back), I don't see Wright making as big impact until later in the season. Early in the season, I'm thinking they'll create a package for him so he can learn a block of plays from the slot and not overwhelm him with the entire playbook.

I'm not sure about Brown. I'm thinking the Titans will want him on the field on passing downs and, for certain, special teams. If they like what they see from him in training camp, and they think he can start, Spoon might be released. He's on the cap for $3.5M next season and I think there would be a lot of long-term benefit for the three young LBs to be on the field together as much as possible this season.

I'm not among those who think Thompson will do much more than be on special teams if the last three games of last season was the turning point for Cook. I'd love for the Titans to make Thompson a redzone threat because that's something the team hasn't had, IMO, for a long time. Thompson is going to need to thrive on special teams.

Everyone else will fill roles on special teams if they are active. I think last season's class of rookies were exceptional and we won't see the same level of contribution from this year's group.

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Kendall Wright:
    Will win the slot starting spot during the off-season. Will spend the season at slot, and also see some time on the outside as well. With Britts injury, i'm sure we'll ease Britt back into the swing of things. Giving Wright a shot at an hot start. Could also see Wright being the KR, and Mariani the PR. I see Wright posting around 40 catches, 600 yards, 4 TDs.

Zach Brown:
    Will make an impact on special teams, day 1. Will also see time as the #1 OLB reserve. I believe Witherspoon will still win the starting job, but if 'Spoon gets banged up.. don't expect your job back. Brown will see time in nickle and dime formations as one of the two LBs.. mostly so he can lineup vs TEs and provide athleticism in passing situations.

Mike Martin:
    Starter day 1. He'll be the Jurrell Casey of this draft. Many experts in 're-drafts' have Casey going Rd1 and as a steal... same will be said about Martin. Casey - Martin - Klug will provide a nice trio of DTs.

Coty Sensabaugh:
    Has potential to be a starter, has to beat outTommie Cambell and Chris Hawkins for a job. We ran a lot of 3CB sets last year, not sure if that was due to us having 3 CBs or if thats what Gray prefers. I see Tommie winning the #3 spot (Verner will play #2 in 2 CB sets, but will lineup as slot in 3CB sets) and then Sensabaugh as the #4 CB. He will still see playing time, and likely a special teamer.

Taylor Thompson:
    I dont expect much year 1. Likely #3 TE on the roster, will see some minor playing time. Starter on all special teams. If Cook & Stevens stay healthy he will likely not see any major playing time. Could see him on a couple of passing downs replacing Cook, if Cook needs a break.

Markelle Martin:
    #1 backup safety. Will start year 2, at either safety spot. He's got the safety size, speed, hitting ability, and much more.. just needs to get the mental part down. Good friends with Griffin, who will be able to give him all the little hints to help with NFL success.. Martin isnt afraid of contact though (yet). Likely special teamer, and look for an impact with Martin next year.

Scott Solomon:
    Depending on how many DEs we carry, he could make the team. Wimbley, Morgan, Ball, Douzable (could be DT), Egboh, and Sheppard (could be DT) are all the likely candiates for a starting spot. Likely PS player, and could get playing time later in season if injuries occur.

6. xpmar9x

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

those stats are very much slighted against the Titans because they are basically comparing 1st rnd picks to a bunch of mid-late rnd picks.

The only fair comparision is to compare Britt to the other 1st rnders and his stats are comparable.

8. xpmar9x

Well duh, lol.

They're two seperate charts. One is NFL 1st round WR rookies, the other is Titans WR rookies.

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Martin is the key guy for me. I think him and Casey are going to make a great DT duo. They are both stout guys who are hard workers and are quicker than most people think. If we can stop the run and put teams in obvious passing situations then we will see more Zach Brown.

Brown will be a STs ace. If he picks up the system quickly then he will start replacing Spoon in the nickle/dime packages. I see him being lined up over the TE and either blitzing from that position or covering the TE man to man. Neither concept is too confusing and both allow him to use his speed to the fullest.

Wright will see the field early and often as long as he picks up the offense well. I think we will put him in the slot next to Britt or Cook and run the bubble screen. Supposedly Wright's build is more like a RB with thick, strong legs which makes him tough to arm tackle, which most CBs prefer to do. He was used as a gadget guy some at Baylor, running reverses and throwing a few passes as well. Palmer might continue that trend with him.

My big question with Wright is can he really be a return guy???? He did very little of it in college and I don't know why. Catching a pass is a totallly different skill set to fielding a punt.

Sensabaugh has a shot to make the nickle/dime package. I think that we might slide Verner into the NB spot and let Hawkins/Campbell/Sensabaugh fight it out for the outside CB spot when we go 3 CBs. Similar to last yr.

The other guys I will be shocked if we get any contribution from or if they even make the final roster.

10. xpmar9x

From what he was saying... he didn't return much because the coach found him more valuable at WR. Wanted to keep his legs fresh, i'm assuming?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar