rookie qb's learning curve

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i dont think there is really a right or wrong way to go with QBs.

i'm going to agree with SK on this one though. i think if the guy has what it takes and is the right kind of person to play the position he will have success regardless of when he plays.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Honestly, I like what the titans are doing better than either option. It gets him some great experience and doesn't put as much pressure on him. Sure, we're sacrificing our season by starting Kerry, but hey, Vince is getting what he needs...

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I like what TJ said.

There are good examples of success and failure either way.

What some people don't seem to understand is that if you have a bad OL, the QB is not gonna get a whole lot out of being knocked on his butt all the time and it works to reinforce BAD habits. Plus, QB's are not made of stone....they break down with repeated beatings.

So I think it depends on the player, your system, your personel and the particular QB. Personally, I think mobile QB's have a harder and easier time. Because they are mobile they can run when they can't figure out the D or need to avoid the rush. On the other hand, most mobile QB's are not as developed in the throwing accurately and reading defenses and making read progressions part of the game. But if you have a strong run game and a decent OL, you can generally play them earlier rather than later.

I LIKE what the Titans are doing with VY, but if Collins doesn't play MUCH better soon, I'd start VY and pound the rock ala the Falcons.

Gut

4. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

Point well made. I agree. I feel having a QB stand on the sidelines and watch for a season is basically a waste of a year and puts him a year behind schedule. There's no experience like actual game experience. Troy Aikman and Peyton took their lumps the first year and came out of it as good as they could have hoped. You can only learn so much by watching. Just like learning software programs, reading an instructional book is helpful, but HANDS ON is when you really learn the fastest. They should have played McNair right away and we would could have had an extra 1-2 good years worth out of him. I have a feeling Collins is going to go down with an injury sooner or later and they wil have no choice but to throw in VY.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

What do you do for a living?

6. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

because vince is mobile he needs to start. vick should have started his first year. i know they are different players but thats not the point. mobile QBs can deal with a worse line. they aren't sitting ducks back there. i too agreee that a good QB will be a good QB no matter how you play them. i dont agree that a bad season kills a QBs confidence... especially vince's. playing behind a bad line might make them a little squimish until they get a better one but not much more.
    the best way to learn is by doing.
    vince is a marvel on the field.
    off the field(by his wonderlik score).. well he's not so hot when dealing with paper.
    he should be playing
    vince has a higher completion %, more TD's, less interception %, a longer pass play, no sacks, and a higher rating that collins
    not to mention the longest run of the year for the titans and 2nd on the team in rushing
    all this while playing about >1/3 of the amount as the starter

7. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

BRAVO! :thumb:

Putting in VY for a series or two is dumb and not really accomplishing anything. Let the kid play already.

8. ShoTym

ShoTym Rookie of the Year

I agree w/ most of what you said except this to an extent. Mobile QB's can deal with slightly inferior line. But they cannot make much out of a line as bad as the Titans line. A mobile QB needs to have some time. They need to be able to look for the WR, and also find the running lane. If the DL has immediate pressure on QB, even mobile ones are sitting ducks. Just the fact that you take the snap from center makes you to a degree a sitting duck if your line consistently doesn't block at all.

And yes you can find arguments for both sides of the "way to handle a rookie QB" debate. However, that really dumbs down the debate. Pro "play early" people cite Aikman, Elway, Marino. Anti "play early" people use Leaf, Akili, etc. The debate is centered around whether you should play a rookie QB immediately or bring him along slowly referencing top 10 picks specifically. When you start the QB has very little to do with whether he'll pan out. What has the most to do with it is the QB. If he can play, he can play. Doesn't matter if he starts day one or two years later. If he sucks he sucks but not because you played him too early. Rather because he sucks.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

:grrhee:

you can also contribute suckdom to lack of talent around you and mental attitude. i think Vince has (slightly) better talent to work with than any of the "Lost Boys" and has one of the better attitudes available in any professional athlete.

I don't think Vince will get 'shaken' all that easy, he gets it, he understands he's on a team in rebuild mode. and his uncanny nack for turning disaster into opportunity should help

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

IF the coaches continue to work him in for a QTR of play (or at least 4 possessions) a game before the bye, then (imo) he should be 'ready' to go out there and execute the offense after the bye,assuming he gets ALL the 1st team reps during the bye week practices

there are several matchups that might be favorable for Vince to see extended playing time. they are :
    both Houston games
    @Philly(11/19)
    the Giants here(11/26)
    possibly the Colts here (12/3)

but I would hesitate to play him versus :
    Jacksonville
    Baltimore
    Dallas
    or @Buffalo

I actually feel it's moe prudent (and probable) that Vince gets 'spot' starts in against favorable opponents

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar