rookie qb's learning curve

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primarily because I don't think he'd know the offense well enough by week 1. Certainly not for someone with no experience against NFL defenses...

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I agree. And we don't have a guarantee he will know enough after the bye week or this season, for that matter. I don't want to see him start until he has a handle on the full offense.

I think the Titans are handling it well so far (one of the few things lately). They give him a couple of meaningful series a game and mop up duties. Based on that, they should get a good feel for how he is coming along as they add more and more of the offense each week.

3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Just watching Marino on HBO's show and he said just go ahead and start Young. Just throwing out the opinion of a guy who's been there and done that (well at least to some extent, he played 11 games his rookie year and put up some decent #'s).

4. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

i think they are doing what they said they would well.. but i dont see how it is the right thing at all. he may not know all the playbook. so what! the guys play better with him in. he'll learn it faster by going through it.
    does coach think we'll maek the playoffs this year?
    who here would get their feelings hurt if vince played?
    who would complain at the end of the year that fish threw the season away by playing him?
    i think that you should treat each QB differently based on talent, work ethic, team chemistry, and need.
    vince works harder than any other QB on the team, has more talent than any in the league, works better with the team than the other guy,... and we friggin need him or we are gonna be 0-6 going into the bye.
    if we hold him back vince will be good two years later than he should. taking two years off his career, taking two years away from his athetic ability he could be using now.

i think its far worse of a confidence/trust killer to have someone who is good enough and deserves to play - but isn't. and theres nothing he can do about it.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

you are making a lot of sense

6. kerry collins =]

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Spot starts?

You can't spot start him....that'd be worse!

And considering we seem to have a lot of problems against fast cover 2 defenses (Colts) and 3-4 defenses, I suggest you re-think where you think he should spot start.

If you're gonna start him, start him...but then you wouldn't not start him the next game...what would be the point?

He either knows enough of the offense to start or he doesn't.

I think TJ and SK are right. When he learns the offense, he'll get in there. In the meantime, he's getting valueable experience with limited packages he DOES know so he can help us a bit ON THE FIELD AND get some good experience adjusting to the NFL level.

And for those of you suggesting he start before he's ready, how would you feel if he started before knowing the full offense and he froze on a pass play because he forgot who was doing what or what protection they had and the defense threw him a backside blitz he wasn't prepared for and he was hurt for the rest of the season. This is not an unlikely situation!

But it would have a big effect on his development! And THAT is something we can't afford. If he gets hurt doing something he's prepared to do...it happens. If he got hurt because he was un-prepared, people would be calling for Fisher/Floyd's head!

Gut

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Gut, doesn't it seem like there is not as much parity in the league as some analysts on TV claim? I mean, even if he is not fully ready to come out and play the best ball, can't he play against non-playoff calibur, bush league, crap teams that are only as good or slightly better/worse than we are? What is the harm in starting him against Houston and not starting him against Jacksonville? Can't he be ready enough to play/start against Houston and not be ready enough to play/start against a formidable defense like Jacksonville?

...Bipolar's further ramblings...
    Also, what I feel everyone is overlooking... I seriously do not see this point made. People post about the sit/start debate and talk about the Big Ben's and Manning types, then compare them against busts... sit and start... all that jazz... What about the fact that we drafted what essentially is a college senior, that did not even have the benefit of a senior year of ncaa football...

What of the fact that the Titans selected a JUNIOR out of UT with the 3rd pick of the 2006 draft. Very little has been made of that.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Sec...

There is not real parity in this league because there are certainly the haves the have nots. There is a group of elite teams that are clearly better than the rest.

The parity is among the slightly above avg to slightly below avg teams.

The problem in spot starting VY is this...he's either ready to start with all that encompasses or he's not. Opponent means little for the most part. What we're talking about is HIS ability to prepare for the things he'll need to do in a game.

If you are resigned to chucking the season and you feel that starting VY now would do him the MOST good, then that is what you'll suggest. Not that we will chuck the season, but you have to be prepared to throw away the season with a rookie QB who will make a lot of mistakes.

Personally, if you look at mobile QB's, the really successful ones learn how to read defenses and throw from the pocket well. In short, there legs are there second weapon, not their first. Right now, we have some serious OL problems so I think starting VY right now would hinder him. It's hard to make read progressions when you're constantly under pressure.

And I'd hate for VY to get thrown in early only to come down with a serious injury because our OL is bad and he either holds it and gets crushed because he didn't read the D properly...OR...because he's running to much and takes a vicous shot. If he lost a significant amount of playing time due to injury, it could threaten his preparation for next season...and that would be bad.

Injury is ALWAYS a threat, but you try and put the player in the best position to AVOID getting injured. Starting a guy who doesn't quite read the defenses well enough, doesn't know how to make all the adjustments (audibles or changing protections), and will run at the first sign of danger...is putting VY at more risk than he should be. And that's a big gamble on a $100million investment.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar