Rosenfels strayed far from Kubiak's wishes

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky Sage Rosenfels' third-down aggression that lined the Houston Texans up for a dramatic late-game collapse were, unsurprisingly, a departure from the instructions he'd gotten leading up to the play against the Colts.
    Rosenfels ran a bootleg to his left on third-and-eight from the Indianapolis 39-yard line Sunday, electing not to throw and deciding late to try to vault defensive back Marlin Jackson. Jackson sent Rosenfels spinning and Raheem Brock delivered a blow that jarred the ball free, Gary Brackett scooped it and took it 68 yards for a score and the Colts were on their way to an improbable win.
    "I've put myself through that, to be putting him in that situation, should we have just run the ball and punted?" Kubiak said at his Monday press conference. "I sit there and think about that over and over again, but I trust him so much. We had the discussion, I said, 'Hey, first off, [tight end] Owen [Daniels] was going out. If the whole world fell down, throw it to him. If not, just get what you can get and get down.' I think he had so much room to go that he got very competitive. I don't blame him for being competitive, but we've just got to find a way to hang on to the ball."
    Of course it's no surprise for Kubiak to reveal he didn't tell his quarterback to play daredevil and attempt a liftoff rather than getting down.
    I'm not sure the coach was intentionally being more specific Monday than he was Sunday about the timeout conversation. Still, it's still interesting that it moved from "If you don't have anything, just run it and we'll punt it and they'll be out of time outs and we'll make them work" to "if not, just get what you can get and get down.'"
    Is that what Kubiak said or is it a more accurate version of what he wishes he said?
    Either way, the insight into the conversation during the timeout shows how far Rosenfels deviated from the plan. And it suggests that even with a semi-comfortable lead against a team the Texans had only even beaten once, how prone to press a winless team was at just the wrong time.

More...

2. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I was yelling out every vulgarity I knew at the Cows when they lost that game. So here I was, a Texan fan for less than 30 minutes, and they find away to lose a game which they should have locked up easily with a lead of 17 with less than 8 minutes left on the game clock against a defense ranked dead last in the league in defending the run.

I feel sorry for Texans fans. No pun intended, but I really do feel bad for fans of such a ill-coached organization.

3. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I don't feel sorry for the team they've got...they got what they deserve...

4. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Plus Rosenfeld is an airhead. Did anyone see how he stretched the football on the Texan's 4-1 in the forth quarter on the QB sneak (before their final rushing TD). That was a dangerous stretch since he wasn't down yet, and it could have easily been pulled out of his hands by some 400lb defender. He was really lucky it wasen't pulled.

Their starting QB Schwab is kinda weird too. When they scored their final TD, he looked somewhat queerish the way he was clapping his hands uninterested, and then went back to his conversation. Looked like he was applauding an opera. Reminded me alot of that gay dude in Braveheart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar