Run defense sucks..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanup1982, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Seattle is on drugs

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

That's what we do.

Anyone remember: "Who's Willie Parker? HE is."

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

The entire defense sucks. We're dead last in the league in points allowed with 37.7/game (almost 4 pts more than the 2nd worst team in that category).

But we're young. I honestly think the future is very bright for his defense. Still not sure Grey is the guy to get us to elite status though.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

But on the run D, CMac gets hurt week one, Casey hurts the elbow in week 4 preseason, Marks missed the start of the season. Yes, and the safeties play nowhere near the line, apparently. That's what happened to our run defense.

5. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

We sure are very conservative on defense and as bad as any team in the league.

6. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Starter

This thread warms the cockles of a Texans fans heart. Run defense issues? Meet Foster and Tate.

7. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

I'm worried about Zach Brown behind Wimbley....

First some context (from one of my more recent posts):

(about Wimbley) "I'm worried that he isnt suited for NFL DE, I worry about his strength. I feel he gets eaten up a lot. Morgan at least is stout vs the run (or can be for most parts of a game) and seems to be waking up with regards to getting to the QB. KW isnt there for run support, nor does he occupy the T effectively (let alone T/G)"

This is very bad for two huge reasons:
    1. When you can't make a play as a DE on the runner, you have to at least try to move the guy who is blocking you into the path of the RB. You're trying to slow him down, while still holding that blocker. Ideally, you want to tackle him, but realistically, you simply wont be able to everytime.
    2. Point 2 is related in that, as you try to move the blocker in the way, your staying with him to free up the backside backer to make a play. If you run past your blocker (ala Wide-9) or because your a speed rusher (KW) and keep leaving your gap (with that underneath / go around move), you allow the T to just move up and block the next guy (usually the middle or backside backer, whos got the best chance to limit damage).

Now you want to put a smaller/speed LB, behind a smaller/speed DE, i'm not sure how that will work out....

Some might argue they will knife in and make plays, which could happen. I'm more worried that they will get eaten up by Houston's strong and athletic line...

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Wimbley gets double team 99% of the time.

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

front page of nfl.com...

[​IMG]
    Leshoure is a sure thing

Following a two-game suspension, Lions RB Mikel Leshoure posted 134 total yards and his first NFL touchdown. See which other players should be keepers in all fantasy leagues.

REALLY? Did the NFL writers not notice which defense he was running against. Watch him go back to the mediocrity where he belongs, next week.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Apparently the Titans have the same worry as well which is why Brown isn't playing much.

I expect to see much of the same scheme against the Texans although I'd like to see a few more blitzes. They have a stud WR we will want to play high-low on like we did with Megatron. What the Titans did against the Lions was not a bad thing and it wasn't their normal defensive alignment. The Lions did a good job of figuring it out in the 2nd half.

We normally play almost a hybrid 3-4 with Ayers playing on the LOS on the TE. What they played in the Lions game was more of what Chicago plays with their backers backed off the LOS and cover 2. We were also playing a bunch of nickel with Ayers and Spoon both playing a middle backer type role (like Urlacher and Briggs). So by design the defense is going to give up some in the running game. But it is designed to bend some but not give up any big plays. Biggest problem is our version of Briggs and Urlacher was missing McCarthy. There was a huge drop of in run support with Spoon. McCarthy is also better in the passing game. Hope he can come back.

I agree and was concerned about Wimbely having Brown behind him when Brown was drafted. Brown just doesn't have the instincts to react quick enough at the point of attack. We were brain dead not to draft David instead. You put McCarthy at MLB with Ayers and David and you would see far superior run support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar