Run game...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RTH, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm not worried about our run game, and here is why:

The 3rd preseason game is typically the first time teams game plan for their opponent. There's no doubt in my mind Arizona was more focused on stopping CJ and the running game than Locker and the passing game. Arizona provided a good challenge for Locker, thank you dummies, those 2 TD's were wonderful. Now that Locker showed he's a capable passer, teams will back up and give the RB's space.

Locker has a big arm, unless teams back up, he'll burn them with his long passes. Let teams stack the box, Wright, Cook, and Washington will have monster years.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

@ ppl crying about CJ going east/west

Take a look at his runs during his 2k season.

3. MrBean

MrBean Master of Not Much

Yeah, but look at the way teams are playing our run game since then. More often than not when they get him going east/west, it's a tackle for loss or no gain. 2nd and 8 is way better than 2 and 10.

4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

As I said in the game thread last night, I didn't see anything from CJ that made me want to rip my hair out (which is typically the case). Looked more like poor blocking and effective defense to me. That's two weeks in a row now I've watched the game and not wanted to punch CJ square in the nose. So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.

We'll see what happens when the regular season gets underway though. I've said all along, I just want to see him running hard and putting forth a professional effort out there. If he does that I'll stay off his back. Whether he's averaging 2 ypc or not.

• High Five High Five x 4
  5. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Yeah. I'm just saying east/west and then hitting turbo was CJ's game. I still don't think he should be used as often as he is punching the middle etc. One thing I've really noticed is on outside, the dline's pursuit of him happens so quickly. Can't blame CJ for that imo. But, him knowing that is the case... he probably shouldn't wait around so long looking for a spot to bust it through.

Oh well. Atleast Amano is out.

6. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

Did you guys see Harper's TD near the end of the game? Hass made an audible at the line and Harper was basically untouched, he was looking around like "holy crap there's nobody near me?!" haha. Then he did a frontflip, which got Dilfer all excited...was pretty awesome. I just don't understand how our first string o-line can be so meh but our backups can be like the best in the world :disbelief:

7. Thefreak

Thefreak Shut Down Corner

NFC West defenses are built to take away the run. So in NFL calculus... Defense built to take away run+focusing on the run+desire to make young inaccurate Qb pass = run game malfunction. This was to be expected.

8. ToddTheTitan

ToddTheTitan GoTitans Homer

Agreed. Nothing happened last night to give the anti-CJ trolls around here any fuel for the fire. He put his head down and had a couple of nice runs against a good Arizona run defense. The 12 yard run in the first quarter was really nice. He had nothing but broke a tackle in the middle of the line and punished the tackler at the end.

What was really depressing was our second and 3rd team defense. Some of those guys are trying to make the roster and they just looked like they didn't want to be there.

9. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

I went back and looked at each run if anyone cares. It seems like this might have been one of our worst blocking games that I can remember in recent memory. Not too reassuring that we improved. CJ had a few mistakes but overall the o-line never got a push.

First play -1 yard. he runs left and theres nowhere to go, 2 or 3 defenders in the backfield, loses 1 yard. Don't think he could have done anything else with this besides dive forward like he did.

Second play 10 yards. Good blocking and a lane, CJ takes it directly to the right side up the middle without hesitation and with a couple cuts looks very quick.

Third play

Wasn't much there, but felt CJ could have made a decision quicker, he jumped back and forth for 2 seconds in the backfield before going forward for 2 yards.

Fourth play

Didn't like this run by him at all it was a sweep and he thought about cutting in which would have gotten him a yard or two but he runs to the sideline for no yards.

Fifth play

CJ hits the hole hard, gets 8 yards to the left with a pretty big hole.

Sixth play

Another sweep which I don't think is a strength with our poor blocking. He doesn't hesitate but by the time he gets to the line he's hit by 2 guys for a gain of one or two

Seventh play

CJ picks up four up the middle, okay blocking.

Eighth play

Absolutely nowhere to go. 4 Guys in the backfield by the time he gets the ball. Could have lost 3 or 4 but is able to break out of that and get it to a loss of one. Blocking was awful here.

Ninth play

ANOTHER sweep, defense keys in on it, CJ is able to get only about two.

Tenth play

Again CJ nowhere to go right up the middle CJ is hit at the line, gains 1

Eleventh play

This might be the most awful blocking by them of the night. Two blocks are completely whiffed. CJ gets the handoff and a linebacker is about to level him for a 2 yard loss, he cuts quickly to the right and is able to get out of bounds for no gain. Jared cook had maybe the worst whiffed block I've seen in a while and completely blows up the play.

[​IMG]

Twelth

CJ gets a small hole but the D closes in fast. Picks up four.

10. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

Why can't we just get one play with blocking like this? I haven't seen CJ get this much space in 20 months.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar