Runningback the league's most over rated position!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Dude, you're trying to say 1 position is overrated because you can have equal results by getting 5 better players.

how do you not see the flaw there?

2. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Your "bottom line" could use some adjustment, I think. A running back is only one part of those 8 (rb + 7 blockers) that contributes to the overall effort. If you want to say that any single blocking position is more important than the running back, then I would like to see an analysis. It's just not true. The RB is the most important single player of those eight because he is the decision maker. You use two polar extreme situations to make a point when, in reality, there is always a medium somewhere in between.

To use your flawed example to make a parallel analogy, what is preferable for maximum yards: 6 dominating blockers, one sucky blocker, and a similarly dominating running back or 7 dominating blockers and a sucky running back?

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

2008, why make this overly complicated. There are 100 RBs on NFL rosters and there is not a huge difference between the 10th best back and the 50th best back. Look at the packers last year.

The average runningback carry in the nfl nets 4 yards. How many backs do much better than that in their careers?

A guy like steve mcnair is far more extraordinary than a guy like eddie george. You can count on one hand the guys who could do what steve did but any average back can be as productive as eddie on a per carry basis.

4. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

I do think any rb will do good if the oline is good. However, there are special players that are playmakers and can score at any point. I would say that is Tomlinson, Gore, Jackson, Johnson, Peterson and Westbrook. They are the elite rbs of the league. Even though I said rbs are a dime a dozen I meant that you can basically have any guy rush over 1,000 yards given a good line. Just look at denver, no matter who is the rb they always do good. Yet a good RB is so special because they free up the passing game while causing opposing defenses to key in on it for the QB and vice versa.

Just to throw in there, Patrick Willis and the bad 49ers defense last year held Adrian Peterson to 14 carries 3 yards.

So I do agree, great defenses, even one player stops shuts down rbs.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You found 6 players to name as exceptional, you could maybe add barber but even with this elite group i can take some issues. Lendale white rushed for more yardage than gore, johnson or jackson last year. Larry johnson was great for about 25 games in his whole career and then fell off the deep end. Peterson's numbers were spectacular but as you said he was also very inconsistent and the other backs on that team were similarly effective. Barber played great but the cowboys are so convinced he is not a 300+ carry guy they drafted 2 RB.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Just to add to the runningback being overrated arguement... for what it's worth....

Runningback's seem to have shorter careers than other positions. You don't see many stay healthy and have really long NFL careers. And usually not very consistent years either.

I definately don't think CB is the most over rated position, as previously mentioned in the thread.

7. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

That is meaningless unless we talk about the talent gap of other positions. I don't see a huge difference between the 10th best RT (for example) and the 50th. At least it is not obviously a larger gap than what exists at RB. Even still, that was an arbitrary number picked out by you based on the talent at rb. Similar gaps exist for every other position.

Depends on your definition of "much better".

That's because Eddie George is overrated. His strength was never his ypc. How very convenient that you decide to use that to evaluate him. If that is your only measure of evaluating him, then you must rank him as one of the worst running backs ever and your comparison of him to an MVP winner in McNair is borderline hilarious. Even still, McNair didn't exactly light up the stat sheet. Once again, there is no one here telling you that a rb is more valuable than the most valuable position on a team (qb) so I don't really even know what you're getting at here. Are straw men the only kind that you can burn?

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Since Eddie we have had basically the same production since Eddie left. I don't think Eddie is overrated but when Brown put up better #'s the year later then it makes that position less of a need. Followed by Henry then White. I just think you can plug in any RB and pretty much get the same production. Especially with a run based offense like Denver, which is why they have so much success.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Is that a joke? A typical bench warming RT is as good as david stewart? I know it's fun sometimes to light up a spliff and post away here at gotitans but it can effect your judgement.

Among all the backs who carried the ball in 2007 60 gained over 4 yards a pop. You have to drop down to 68th to get below 4 ypc. Among the backs who didn't gain 4 yards a carry clinton portis, edge james, cadillac williams, reggie bush, ahman green, sean alexander. How many millions of dollars wasted there?

Among the 45 backs who rushed the ball at least 100 times last year the median guys averaged 4.25 ypc.

Career backups like arron stecker, kenny watson, sammy morris, mewelde moore are just about as good as the 10 or 11th best guy. Backups like justin fargas, tatum bell, chester taylor, chris brown, lamont jordan, ladell betts have had the opportunity to start and have gained 1000 yards in a season.

Over 30 RBs in the nfl caught 35 passes or more. Over 50 caught at least 20.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Justin fargas.

POS? Career backup? Underaciever? Bench warmer? The 50th best back in the league prior to 2007?

He was one of the most effective backs in the whole nfl last year. He averaged 96 yards rushing per start

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar