Sack production less than half of last year

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by earlcampbellfan, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

quinn pitcock is not much of a pass rusher and has kind of disappointed me this year.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Brilliant.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Awesome!!!

:ha: :ha: :ha: :ha:

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Hehehe...

Nice!:))

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Couple of reasons...

First, with no quality RE to speak of (Odom and LaBoy haven't played that much and when they have, it hasn't been good), everyone slides there line to KVB's side.

This is further exacerbated by people gashing us with the run early on. Fewer passes means fewer chances.

With the serious droppoff of Reynaldo Hill' play (and LT backing him up) for the first half of the season, Schwartz is playing coverage instead of blitzing a lot. Sirmon has also looked slow and incapable of shutting down a RB in man coverage. Combine that with no Rien Long and Haynesworth's 5 game suspension and we didn't have a lot.

It's also an attitude thing. They could change up the personel to make things more palatable, but they haven't. He could also switch up the scheme to protect the lesser players more and still blitz some more...but we don't. Of course, this confuses me because he will at times take the ultimate gamble and go ZERO coverage (meaning no FS deep and everyone is manned up) as he did against the Giants when Pacman caught that first INT.

This is the primary reason we need Freeney. Get Freeney and a real FS would VAULT this D way up. I'd love to see Manning's OL trying to stop Freeney from planting him on every passing play. Manning would have a tough time doing his little playaction bomb it deep cause Freeney would meet him seven yards deep and remind him how much he's worth. This would go a long way to us getting back to dominating the Colts like we used to. Hopefully this bashing of their run D means they'll think they don't want to re-sign a RE who's 'weak' against the run!

Gut

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

just as long as the Titans offer enough to ensure he leaves Indy is fine with me, cause Freeney is like most all those smaller hybrid DE (Kearse, ect.) running directly at them negates their speed and exposes their weakness at the point of contact. That is not so much a knock as those types of players can be and are excellent players, but I would not be in favor of a Kearse-like contract for Freeney, at least not from my Titans.

7. jvanhill

jvanhill Guest

the sack stats are misleading...

for KVB. Notice that he is or has been leading the league in QB pressures nearly the whole season. The problem is that when no other pressure is coming from the other side, it is easier for the QB to roll away or step up.

KVB is getting there but you need to meet someone else there to take away the QB's scramble options.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

What? Is there a stat you're looking at to determine him 'leading the league in QB pressures?'

I'd strongly disagree with that statement. However, you're perfectly correct when you say we need the other side covered. Too often, Schwartz is cross stunting the DT and LaBoy. LaBoy goes inside and theoretically the DT takes the long run around to the outside. If he doesn't get there...NO CONTAIN. LaBoy also takes an inside charge much more than he should to get pressure...but mobile QB's just slide outside of him.

Gut

9. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

Who cares? LOOK AT THAT NAME!

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

IMO, Freeney IS worth the big money. Even this year when his 'stats' are down, he gets a ton of pressure on the QB...much more than KVB does and adding Freeney to the other side will only give KVB better chances. Plus, Freeney is the only guy in the league who can still get a lot of pressure double teamed. With Haynesworth on his side, it'd be tough to do!

He's not the best guy against the run, but he can control his gap decently due to his quickness. The thing about him and Indy's other DL are that they aren't disciplined against the run. He'll shoot his gap and literally try to run the RB down like a LB, but if the RB cuts back, there is a big hole. He can learn to be more disciplined, but guys aren't blowing him off the line. If we put Freeney at RE and put Haynesworth at a 3 technique outside their G with Smith on the other side between C and G, you can funnel the action more towards the middle since if the T and G double Haynesworth, Freeny is free to take on the FB. He's too quick for a pulling backside G. So you can alter alignment a bit and make it harder for teams to run to his side. Doing this also makes him better as a pass rusher. With Big Al lined up on the outside shoulder of the same side G, you make it VERY difficult to double team Freeney with the T and G. You force the team to us a FB or RB to help out on pass blocking. But even if they double Freeney, who's doubling Big AL? It's a hard job for the C to move that far over to help out and if he does, you leave Smith 1 on 1 right up the middle. It's hard to imagine it how I'm writing it, but this is why one dominating pass rusher can really HELP!

Plus, Freeney's in his prime AND could teach our young DE's how to rush the passer!

Even better, he'd cause a HUGE problem for Peyton when we play them 2 times a year!!!

I wouldn't try to make him the highest paid defensive player ever...maybe if he reached incentives. But I'd also entice him with this...we are an up start team with a new Franchise QB and all we need is the BEST PASS RUSHER to knock the Colts off the mantle. We'd also seriously front load his contract so it's better for us cap wise, better for Freeney, and the Colts wouldn't be able to match that type of contract!

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar