Sanders signs record contract

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I never said that I know more about it than Polian does. I do, however, remember when Reese was heralded as a "genius" the same way Polian is, for making the same exact moves that Polian is now.

I know what you are talking about when you reference people predicting cap hell for the last six years (though I believe it's actually been the last three to four years; ever since Manning got his new contract). Jaguar fans predicted we were in cap hell in 2000, '01, '02, and '03. It was '04 before we felt the effects of cap hell.

By the way, it's not really a knock on Polian. The Colts have a Lombardi, which means Polian's push worked. The Lombardi is the entire point. I do realize, however, that the Colts will be going through some lean times in the near future. Polian actually could delay it for one more year by restructuring some base salary (most likely Harrison's, Freeney's, and/or Sanders's, as Manning's won't be much help anymore) into signing bonus, but you really don't want to think about the effect that would have on the Colts' cap the following season, especially if you want to keep Manning around.

2. wino

wino True 2 the shoe..GO COLTS

"Raided"? Yes, but it hasn't really hurt us, IMO. Thornton, Harper, Gilbert Grape...errr...Gardner and Ben Hartsock haven't exactly put you guys back in the Super Bowl. Last year we lost Jason David and Cato June (in addition to Harper). Backups stepped up and we went from an "average" defense to an "outstanding" one (#3 this year, I believe). Anthony Gonzalez adequately replaced Brandon Stokely. Tony Ugoh stepped in for Tarik Glenn (who retired) and barely missed a beat. And on...and on...and on. Plug 'em in and watch 'em go.

Again...all these predictions of "doom and gloom" that come every year haven't come true. Can it last forever? No...even I know that. My point in all of this is it's lasted WAY longer than anyone expected because of who we have making the decisions for us. It's not because of "getting fortunate" with the timing of the new TV contracts, etc....EVERY team knows when those things are coming up. But not every team does a good job of planning for it, predicting how much cap space that will bring, etc.

As for some of the $312.5M we're paying just a few players (and despite all the "doom and gloom predictions" about Peyton's contract handcuffing us down the road) Polian said in an article in the Indianapolis Star today:
    Manning's salary-cap number will increase from $8.2 million this year to more than $18 million in 2008, when the NFL's salary cap increases from $109 million to $116 million. Although the Colts could use some bookkeeping measures to lower Manning's cap hit, "that's not a high-priority item,'' according to Polian. "We can carry him (at that figure).'' http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080106/SPORTS03/801060336/1247/SPORTS
    He also said in that article the Colts will slap the franchise tag on Dallas Clark if necessary, but would rather sign him to a long-term contract.
    The rest of our free-agents? Well, IMO other teams can "raid" them all they want...none are any more critical (or irreplaceable) than the former Colts you guys have on your roster right now.

Not quite. While the AFC South was impressive this year with every team at .500 or better, I'm not ready to concede everyone has "caught up".

*Five straight seasons of 12 or more wins...NO other team has EVER done that (not even the mighty Patsies).
    *In the playoffs 8 out of the last 9 years (I believe that # is correct). The only year we missed is when Edge blew out his knee.
    *Manning has thrown for 4,000+ yards in every season of his NFL career. Has VY thrown for a TOTAL of 4,000 yet?:evil:
    *We won the Super Bowl last year...and improved our record this year. That doesn't happen often.

I'm still waiting for all the doom and gloom.

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Clark is a perfect candidate for the franchise tag because it's a below market value hit.

If Dallas Clark were to get a long term deal as a FA I would be surprised to see him get $6 mill per year.

4. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

the colts have made it a habit of getting rid of talented, big contract guys you think they will miss and they continue without missing a beat. I thought losing Edge would hurt, but they win a Super Bowl after he leaves. I am not saying this would happen, but with the success they have had this year, they could realistically let Harrison go and be fine in the passing game. Polian has done well in managing it, although at some point, they will have to get rid of some of their other big name guys.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I didn't read all the posts but i did read gloats comment about sanders not being a top 3 safety. MORONIC!

When healthy there is no better safety than sanders..

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Ed Reed and Adrian Wilson are better.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Adrian wilson only played 9 games this year while bob sanders was the best defensive player in the whole league. Yeah better!

Ed reed doesn't come close to supporting the run like sanders does. Reed was in on only 39 tackles! Michael griffen was in on 54 for crying out loud..

Interesting stat....
    Total tackles 2007 bob sanders... 96

Total tackles 2007 ed reed and adrian wilson combined... 72

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Compare their careers.

Reed and Wilson are light years ahead. They are simply better all round safeties.

9. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Heard Polian last night on Sirius Radio, and he said they made an offer to Clark, but Clarks' agent refused it.
    Polian said if he doesn't sign, Clark will be tagged because "he will definatly not be playing for anyone other than the Colts next year".
    But after that...?

10. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

My post should have read that I wouldn't be surprised to see get $6 Mill per year.LOL

A franchise tag for a TE in 08 will be around $4.5 mill.

Clark is only 28 so he's likely to still be a great FA pick up in 09'.We do seem to like taking players away from the Colts too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar