Training Camp Saturday, July 26

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nigel, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

I say that because he has competition more so than ever before. Coming off an Injury. Two years out from football. He's got a lot of ground to make up. I'm leaning toward returns going to Washington and Dexter. And punts going to Dex as well.

At one point Mariani was a great ST guy. I think for him to stick this year (again injury, past, time off from football) he needs to stick as a WR because Washington I think locks up returner.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I think Mariani brings more as a WR than Washington does as a RB. That is basically how you have to look at it. Of course, you let them both battle it out in camp and see if Mariani can even still play.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. Clark

Id be shocked both make the team.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I just find it highly unlikely that Washington will even see the field on regular downs. What little we have seen of Marc during the preseasons, he did show he was improving. Like I said, assuming he can still play, I don't see how Washington would beat him out.

Again, this is the 5th WR/4th RB spot we are talking about. I still just find it outrageous someone can hate on a 5th string wideout as much as they do on Mariani.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Clark

We need WR help/depth more than rb. But if mariani doesn't step up I could see someone coming in and stealing that wr5 spot.

6. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

It's probably a better idea to keep 6 WRs anyways though.

5 WRs on a roster in today's game isn't enough IMO.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

If McCluster is as integral a part of the offense as he's being advertised would it be wise to use him as a primary returner(either punts or kicks)? He's already going to get work at WR/RB and he's a tiny guy. I'd say if you need a spark or a big play you put him back there, but not all the time.

We need a primary returner and it will be Washington or Mariani, their skill-position be damned.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

See this is kind of what I'm talking about. What makes you say he brings more as a WR than Washington does as a RB? Mariani has 5 career catches. This is where I think people are projecting more skill onto Mariani than he really has, solely because he's a likable guy you wanna root for. Two lost seasons or not, he still hasn't proven jack ish as a WR.

Now if you're saying the #5 WR is likely to see more meaningful playing time than the #3/4 RB, then I definitely would not disagree with that. So in that way, yes Mariani would have more "value". But I don't see how anyone could say that Mariani is a better WR than Washington is a RB. Based on what? A good 7-on-7 without pads?

9. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

This.

The last two seasons Marc has been making strides at receiver in the preseason, with most of the coaches saying that he was going to earn playing time. Two years ago he had a freak injury. Last year he had an injury that he could have easily come back from, but the team screwed him by putting him on ER (though its hard to say you're getting screwed when you are making $400-500k).

I've been watching Marc play before most people in Tennessee had ever heard of him. He has had to earn everything he's gotten. He was a walk on at Montana who left with three school records (receiving yards, receiving touchdowns, and all purpose yards). Yeah, Montana in an FCS school, but they are a perennial powerhouse in that subdivision.

The odds aren't in his favor this year. Washington has guaranteed money on his contract, Marc doesn't, so a close contest is going to go to Leon. But people have been counting him out his entire career, and he keeps proving people wrong. If he's going to make the team, he's going to have to do it as both a WR and ST. And most of all he has to stay healthy.

10. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I don't hate Marc at all. I just think Leon is a better returner and trust him more. He came in last year and instantly solidified the return game and almost took one to the house. I don't know about y'all but I'm definitely not down to gamble on the returner spot again this season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar