Scaife signs tender

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

he wanted to be a Titan. He knows he's going to take a backseat to Crumpler but I think they will be a dynamic duo. The TE's are coming back in Tennessee, and I couldn't be more excited.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Yeah but scaife will be gone after this year and crumpler only has a 2 year deal. I wish we had something more long term..

3. We could still re-sign Scaife to a long term deal next year of he has a good season.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Next year will be too late and if he has a good season he will want $5M a year. Why not sign him now for half that?

5. Because he hasn't proven to be worth that yet. No reason to overpay him on the hopes that he improves. Especially not since he shouldn't even be starting this year.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That sounds all to familiar as to our strategy over the last several seasons.

Thing is, I'm not sure that works. We aren't signing decent players longterm, when it could be a contract that is of great value to the Titans. And then when the player excels and has a career season, the argument becomes, well now they are too expensive.

So where does that leave us? If we aren't going to re-sign people on the cheap when they seem decent, and we aren't going to re-sign people once they've shown they MIGHT be worth a large contract.... Then are we EVER going to re-sign anyone?

7. So we should have given guys like Troupe and Starks new longterm contracts?

8. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

2 people. You really gonna base that on 2 people. How about Haynesworth, Stewart, Roos. Theres 3 just from last year.

What about Bell whose now gone.

Now we need a huge amount of cap to sign those 3 hopefully.

And one left already.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Starkiller you are kidding right?

Scaife doesn't need to improve at all to prove he is worth about $2.5 or 2.75M a year. He has already proven himself to be a pretty good player with a good relationship with his QB and no character issues. Signing him now should be cheaper than next year. This is a guy who has been making 5th rd money. Offer him a 5 year 13M deal with a $4M SB and he probably takes it. A similar deal would have kept bobby wade here and a million more could have kept bell here another guy living on 5th rd money. Why let good players leave when we can sign them reasonable? The key is to be proactive enough to get them signed a year before they hit the market.

And WTF does troupe and starks have to do with this discussion? Scaife has been a solid reliable player.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jacob bell..

He made similar 3rd rd tender money last year. $1.2M i believe which is solid money but it was all salary and paid out over 16 weeks. Players make some money for the OTAs and preseason but it isn't much.

What if last march we had offered bell a long term $4M a year deal with a $5M SB? He would have taken that for purposes of security and to get the nice SB a year earlier than possible in free agency. We would have gotten a solid starting guard who has been a solid guy for this team. We lock up bell last year and sign scott this year and now we are rock solid on the inside for many years to come.

I bet the titans never made a serious offer to bell last year and as free agency got close what was the point because he knew that 31 teams would be able to compete for his services.

Now i think the rams over paid some for him at $6M but that isn't the point because we could have locked into a 5 year deal for 33% less than that long before he was an UFA.

We need to lock up roos, stewart, scaife before this season starts..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar