Schwartz Head Coach Interview Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

he'll have too they are $20 million over the cap.

2. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

I cannot believe they would not consider Williams as the front runner. I would think he would be pretty PO'd if they hired another assistant to come in and take over the HC job.

3. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

Well if Theisman's dumb @ss has any say they will take him. :woot:

4. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie We're Screwed...

I'd say Schwartz had something to do with turning a 32 ranked defense into a top 5 defense this year.

Quote:
    Schwartz has also been mentioned as a candidate for the openings in Atlanta, Baltimore and Miami. He became a hot commodity after the Titans finished the season ranked No. 5 in total defense -- a remarkable rise from No. 32 in 2006.
    http://www.nbc4.com/sports/15024377/...=headlineclick

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

If we can somehow trade Schwartz to the Redskins for Williams, I will do a backflip with excitement.

6. Robbnva

Robbnva Guest

Hey guys first of all I come in peace and I have questions regarding the whole schwartz issue.

1. Your defense was 32nd last year but were there any key injuries that hurt the performance?

2. What are some specific things that Schwartz do or doesn't do that make you want to bash him.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Hey Robb,

Just to get a good feel for the subject, you might want to run a search in the forum. I'd say 80% of the members here think Schwartz is a below-average DC.

Last year, there were multiple injuries to the DL which appears to be a key to our defense performing well. We also had issues at MLB, CB and FS with inferior talent. The combination of this and inexperience, along with an offense which couldn't keep the defense off the field, added up to a horrible year.

Regardless of the injuries, inferior talent, etc. may still feel a decent DC would have gotten more out of the defense.

I personally think Schwartz is average with average talent. He isn't the kind who is going to take less-talented players to a higher level. When the talent/experience allows him to scheme at a higher-level as he did this season, his defense was dominant. But I assume that is the case with most DCs in the league.

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I've hated on Schwartz as much as anyone in the last year.

He has to be given credit for the success we've had this year.Just as I was happy to criticize him for our defensive failings I'm prepared to give him his due this year.

The games without Haynesworth in the lineup this year we saw a big drop off on the performance of our D. Many of us feel that Schwartz' biggest flaw is his inability to make adjustments when he loses a player & sometimes in the 2nd half in response to our opponents changing their scheme.

If we're protecting a lead we often resort to a slow death prevent defense which we all hate.That may be on Fisher,we don't really know.

Some of our defensive collapses this year(both Chargers games for example),came about because of our offensive failings. The Defense was simply left out on the field too long because our O couldn't convert on downs.Schwartz' players just gassed.

Short version;At times Schwartz has come out with great schemes but later struggles to make adjustments. He needs above average players to make his scheme work.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I still think, without having looked it up, that our defence rank lower in 3rd down stops than you'd expect from a 5th ranked defence. So it's not all on the offence when complaining about our D being on the field a lot.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

A good case could be made that swhartz is average at his job and not as horrible as some may think..

First of all which defense was better the 17th ranked defense for our 4-12 team in 05 or the 32nd ranked defense of our 8-8 team in 06? The players were similar. One could argue that 17th in 05 after all the cap losses was a job well done but since we only won 4 games obviously the defense didn't get the job done in key situations of games.

Last year we statistically sucked but our defense had some great plays and great stops that led to many of those wins in the second half of the year. Our offense was ranked 27th last year so it could not have been because of the offense alone that we won 8 games..

When we have had the talent we have had pretty good defenses..02, 03, 07 and our poorest defenses came when we had huge losses from the cap or injury. Finishing 32nd with haynesworth-KVB-Hope-Pacman-bulluck-thornton is terrible but we did win 8 games and this year maybe we overachived a little..

The overall success of our team has to play into our evaluation a little especially when we don't have a great offense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar