schwartz must go: the 2007 edition

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

It's not like people are calling for Schwartz's head based on one quarter of football this year. It's a trend... a career if you wanna call it.

No fan, coach, or player should be happy about 29 points in 1 quarter. I personally didn't like Schwartz postgame comments either.

I would be against making a move during the season, but certainly this defense needs to be watched for the rest of the year to accurately determine Schwartz future here.

Of course it doesn't matter since Schwartz is Fishers boy.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Of course no one is happy with giving up 29 points. What do you people want Schwartz to say? It was a total meltdown along with some outstanding play by the Texans and a chitload of luck.

The Titans didn't go into the prevent until the final drive as far as I could tell. I can't blame him for not blitzing. The front four had been getting pressure most of the day and suddenly wasn't able to get it done.

The go ahead TD was a fluke which required TWO Titans DBs to falter. The reality of the situation is one quarter of football doesn't overshadow 23 others. Keep it in perspective and you see Schwartz and the Titans D is a top 10 defense and good enough to take them deep into the playoffs if they can get more consistency in the red zone and protect the football better.

Any talk of replacing him is garbage.

3. TitanJeff

Exactly. Let's discuss the real issues here holding the Titans back from being an elite team.

1. Red zone TDs.
    2. Protecting the football.

The Titans have to improve in both of these areas or they'll struggle the rest of the season against the better teams.

4. Alex1939

I really don't understand how you can say ANY talk of replacing him is garbage. Talk of replacing him has been going on for a long time.

We ALMOST gave up one of the greatest collapses of all time. Sage Rosenfels through for 290 yards and 4 tds. Those 4 fourth quarter TDs tie an NFL record. Kubiak said, "they got the lead and didn't actually blitz as much."

Our team has a trend of playing soft late in games. We became much more predictable at the end of this Texans game and that has happened way too often under Schwartz D.

Schwartz should be on the hot seat all season. Let him earn his job, and when bad, no horrible, defensive issues happen, he deserves the criticism he gets.

5. TitanJeff

#1 rush defense in the country. #6 overall.

Let's be sure to praise him for the other 23 quarters which had led to a top 10 defense too, right?

6. Alex1939

Our defense is much better and is playing much better. Sure, Schwartz deserves some credit.

But let's finish the season before we start saying he should definately be sticking around as DC for awhile.

I'm also not going to be going back and watching all 23 previous quarters of football this season. I will say that at the Tampa game the defense played excellent all game, UNTIL the last drive where Tampa drove at will and scored the game winner.

TJ, are you buddies with Schwartz in the real world? I know you're obviously a diehard Titan fan, but I don't understand how you can ignore Schwartz career history here and just praise the guy blindly.

I mean, the Houston game was one of the GREATEST COLLAPSES OF ALL TIME, we were just lucky KFC and Bironas pulled out the win for us in the end. And I can't put all the blame on the players, like Schwartz did.

7. TitanJeff

I've been critical of him in the past and will continue to do so. But we have people here wanting him gone NOW. That makes no sense to me in light of what this defense has done so far this season.

If you want to search through the forum for my posts on him, you'll find I don't think he's the greatest DC in the league. Far from it. But I don't blame Schwartz any more than I give him credit for the team's' success.

Lowry made a mistake a high school CB shouldn't have made. Hope fell down. 9 times out of 10, that pass is broken up or intercepted. It was a fluke and I don't see how anyone can blame Schwartz for it and more than the players who made the errors on the field.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree Jeff and IMO there is no reason to be getting overly worked up about one bad quarter of football. I'm sure the coaches and players all take credit for the lousy quarter, offense and defense but we won the game.

Using that same logic we should get rid of VY. He has had bad quarters, halfs and games. The bottom line is the Titans won the game and the 4th quarter was a fluke more than anything.

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

It's hard to explain the turnaround in the Titan's D this year without giving some credit to Schwartz. Almost last to #1 run D with no personnel changes on the line? Lost our best pass defender and the pass D is actually improved? I'm critical of Schwartz for some things, but those are tough stats to argue against.

As much as we all hate the "play to not lose" strategy that feels like it costs us games - Fisher has the highest win percentage of ANY COACH IN HISTORY taking a lead into the 4th Q. Better than Lombardi. Better than Madden. That's crazy, and as scary as it is trading clock for points and yards - it obviously works.

IMO, the biggest problem the past 2 weeks has been something that does reflect on Schwartz. I've seen too many DBs get burned when they had good to perfect position... all because they appeared to go for the INT and missed. I know Schwartz preaches turnovers, and it looks like the players are reaching a bit instead of taking care of business. I love the big INT, and if you have it then get it - but like a receiver... go get the ball in a way that you are the only one who will come down with it.

If the players are reaching and losing discipline it's either coming from the directive of the coaches, or it's coming from themselves and it's the coaches job to put and end to it. Either way, this D needs to play within themselves. When they do we've seen what the Schwartz D is capable of - TJ posted the stats up until the 3rd Q. 2 first downs (and 1 of those was just the AH penalty). Then we had some players relaxing and others reaching - and the coaches need to take control when they see that.

10. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Schwartz was too young when he was given the DC job, and he continues to learn on the job, which is sometimes painful. He never should have been given the job to begin with.

And the special teams coach has been suspect every year since the MCM, I believe. Pacman's returns last year took some heat off ST's, but look at how teams return our kickoffs to the 35-40 at will, and our punters have made too many tackles the past few years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar