Schwenke to start this Sunday vs 49ers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GTFO my pancakz, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanfanatic

titanfanatic I Piss Excellence Staff

Now all Munch needs to do is bench Loggains and I'll be one happy person.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Undersized? He's 6-3 318. He's actually BIG for a OC. He's also the biggest interior OL we have except for Warmack who's only 5lbs heavier. He's NOT undersized.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Loggains says hes 330

4. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

The center position isn’t one that allows a coach to work a player into the lineup little by little, so Titans rookie Brian Schwenke faces quite a challenge this weekend: He’ll go from being inactive for the first six weeks to starting and playing an entire contest against San Francisco.

“It’s going to be hard,” Titans coach Mike Munchak said. “He’s very thankful for the weather. Hopefully it will be in the 60s because if it was in the 90s, it would be a huge issue, I think. He’s a big boy and he’s gained a few pounds since he’s been here.”

Listed at 6-3 and 318 pounds, Schwenke – the team’s fourth-round draft pick last April – says he’s confident he’ll have enough stamina to last throughout the game.

“I’ve been practicing every day, so I’m not in bad shape at all,” Schwenke said. “I’ve been getting a lot of reps this week. Usually when (the first- and second-team offensive lines) rotate, I stay in and get all the center reps.”

The other challenge for Schwenke and his quarterback (whether it’s Ryan Fitzpatrick or Jake Locker) will be to make sure there are no issues on the center-quarterback exchange. Schwenke said he’s been taking extra snaps after practice with the quarterbacks to make sure there are no hiccups against the 49ers.

Munchak said one of the reasons the Titans decided to give Schwenke his first start this week was because it was a home game, meaning there would be fewer issues — like working with a silent snap – that might affect the center-quarterback exchange.

“We didn’t think it would have been fair to him to (start him) in Seattle or any road game,” Munchak said. “But he’s worked on (the exchange) out here and he hasn’t really had a problem since he’s been here, so I can’t imagine that being an issue at all in this game.

“The other stuff is more concerning, the nervousness and the silent count and all that in his first game. There’s so much more to think about (on the road), and all of a sudden you forget to snap the football. This will give him a chance to play a full game, then have another week before we go on the road.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Love the Schwenke pick. But it just wouldn't be the same without you having a BL avatar. The Dude does not abide.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

To put things in perspective...
    You did say anyone who rated Schwenke over Jones must be drinking implying Jones is much better. Now you're saying that's what others think?

I would have taken Schwenke over Jones because Jones is not a great athlete and is not a drive blocker and doesn't play with a lot of power AND seems to always be injured. Schwenke is more of the type of OC I think we need...a big, tough, mauler in the run game. He was a good pick in rnd 4. Most people I know had Frederick rated a little higher then the pack but had him as a 3rd rnd pick while Jones/Schwenke/etc were 3-4rnd players. Most draft people really panned the 'boys for taking a guy most believed they could have gotten in the 3rd rnd.

Gut

7. nytitaner

nytitaner Starter

I like Schwenke already just saw interview with him , kid has plenty swagger. I got a good feeling, may take a minute but I like the dude, he's genuinely confident. GO TITANS BEEEEEYATCH!!!!

8. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Wow from reading the article it seems they wanted to start Schwenke earlier. The staff has known how badly Turner has been playing and was just waiting for the right time.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Yup. It would have been a challenge to start him in Seattle with a silent count. Home field should help a lot.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I said they'd probably be drinking because the average fan would never put Schwenke over Jones.

I don't have a personal opinion on which is the better of the 2.

Schwenke will probably be an average center.

If we're lucky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar