Secondary frustrated

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Yeah I read this earlier. It was one of his better pieces. I wish PK well in the future. He has toned down the snarky inflammatory rhetoric in his writing. His carrier appears to be paralleling the course of the franchise.

3. amy

amy Starter

That's how it is in all sports. The refs react according to how important the player is. The NBA is a prime example.

4. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Honestly, I don't even blame the secondary at all. Verner played quite physical today, but resulted in flags. You have to play physical against Manning's receivers or he will carve you up.

The unit that needs the blame is the DL. They absolutely got no pressure at all against Manning. Manning stood in the pocket all day looking comfortable.

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

I'm still pissed at the personal foul they called on Pollard for hitting Decker.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

My son and I were talking about this very thing. We were lamenting the need for an unstoppable monster interior DLman that could disrupt the pocket

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

DENVER Titans safety Bernard Pollard delivered a shoulder-to-shoulder hit on Broncos wide receiver Eric Decker in the third quarter.

It dislodged the football and appeared to stomp out a big play.

Then came penalty flags — Pollard was told he hit a defenseless player.

It was one of several calls that left the Titans frustrated after a 51-28 loss to the Broncos at Sports Authority Field on Sunday.

“It’s a shame the way, you know, power is held,” Pollard said. “It’s hard for us to play the way we want to play. We understand what Peyton (Manning) has done. We understand all of it, man. It’s just difficult for us as a secondary, as a defense, to get things done.”

The flag gave the Broncos 15 yards en route to a touchdown that put them ahead 27-21.

Coach Mike Munchak also disagreed with the penalty.

“From our viewpoint, they’re going to throw those things no matter what now,” he said. “Obviously we don’t think it was a good call, but they threw the flag.”

Said Pollard: “It was a foul, in their eyes. I hit a defenseless player.”

Pollard, who has racked up $67,500 in fines this season, was also flagged for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for saying a play “stinks” when talking to an official, he said.

A number of other Titans felt like officials called the game too closely in the secondary, which kept Denver scoring drives alive. Pollard was careful with his words, but was clearly upset with the officiating.

“When you see certain things happen in the game, that’s not how we played it all year, that’s not how we wanted to play it,” Pollard said. “But the higher power wants to play it like that.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

8. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

That should be Casey, but sometimes he plays ghost. Hill is just God awful when it comes to applying pressure. Our DTs literally got no push at all today.

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Blaming the refs is LAME LAME LAME. I hate when fans do it. And it's even worse when players and coaches do it. We lost 51-28. Kinda tough to put that one on the refs. There are bad calls in every game. And I never, ever hear our fans/players/coaches complain about the ones that go in our favor.

All that said, sure the elite players (particularly QBs) get "coddled" a bit. But it's just the nature of the beast and it's not just the poor, pitiful Tennessee Titans who have to deal with it.

• High Five High Five x 4
  10. crypta333

crypta333 Starter

Play your game Pollard. We love you for it. To hell with the refs.

• High Five High Five x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar