Serious Question

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Kid, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Maybe he doesn't want to be a sports writer?

I remember thinking I'd want to be a sports writer. Then I worked a semester with the school paper and hated it... all the stories and deadlines. Couldn't do it.

2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I just find it pretty lame to say "oh, yeah, I could totally be a [insert profession that's really hard to break into] but I just don't feel like it."

But maybe that's just me. I would for sure be NFL commissioner by now if I didn't like 2-hour lunches so much.

• Troll Troll x 1
  3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I believe that most people are capable of doing great things. It's just a matter of having the time, energy, and passion to make it happen. Plus who you know goes a long way.

There are tons of sports journalists who know nothing about the NFL. Just reading their articles proves that. Some idiot journalist predicted in 2013 that the Falcons and Texans would meet in the Super Bowl. I correctly predicted Seahawks over Broncos because I know more than whoever that clueless guy is. I mean, anyone who predicted Falcons/Texans doesn't know much. That's a fact. I didn't think those teams would have a combined record of 6-26, but I knew they wouldn't sniff the Super Bowl, and I laughed at that chode's prediction when I first read it.

Some get their jobs by either connections or being an "entertaining" character.

Sometimes to get a good laugh I will watch NFL Fantasy Live and listen to horrible advice those guys give poor FF players who don't know what they're doing.

Being a good journalist and having knowledge of the NFL are often two very different things.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

i have never said anything like that

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Why would I want to be a Sportswriter?

But TTF, you claim we don't understand what a GM does (outside of control the roster, sign free agents, deal with contracts, the draft, player evaluations for both players on the roster and in the league, dealing with ownership, dealing with players, coaches, etc etc etc) but when given the opportunity to tell us what we don't know, I don't see you write anything. And then you just try to bash away while ignoring the point.

Do I think every fan knows more than your average NFL GM? No. But a lot of those capologists don't know much about football players and playing football and rely on scouts and 'football guys' to help them out. Similarly, the 'football guy' GM's need lawyers and other 'cap' people to help them out with the cap, contract structures, future turnover, exposure, etc. Most GM's don't know everything. Most worked under someone in a front office and learned by watching much like Assistant work there way up to be position coaches and then coordinators and then HC if they are lucky. Does it mean they are great at what they do? No.

How many of Belicheck's assistants...from position coaches to coordinators to GM's etc are still at their first job away from him? And I think everyone would agree he's a sure fire Hall of Fame coach. Didn't they learn from the best?

My point is, while no one is gonna be a GM tomorrow, it doesn't mean we aren't qualified to make a judgement on what they do and the decisions they make. Saying our GM is horrible but no fan could do better is a laughable thing...especially when your only proof is that we aren't GM's.....and frankly, you have no idea for what we are or are not qualified for. Let's put it another way...

Cus D'Amato was never a professional fighter. So how was he able to coach and train several Hall of Fame Boxers including Tyson?

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

NFL Commish? I'd last 2 seconds because I care far less about the Owners making money (that's the real job) than I do about Football and how it's played. I wouldn't mind the $40mil but not willing to sell my soul to do that!

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You have lost sight of what's really going on here

Who said they wanted to be GMS or sports writers?

In your drunken rage you've made this about that, but why?

8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

You missed my point again but I think I'm done explaining things to you. If you want to believe that's what I was arguing, go for it.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I wanted to be the first black president when I grew up, but now I can't.

Thanks Obama.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You dont have a point to miss, so good day...

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar