Shea Weber accepts 14yr/100m+ from Philly

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Preditan, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preditan

Preditan --- --- --- --- Staff

Philly offered Weber a 14yr/100m+ offer sheet, and Weber accepted. Preds have exactly 7 days to match.

This is the worst-case scenario for the Preds. Under the current CBA, if a team matches an offer sheet, they can't trade that player for 1 year. So basically, the Preds can't trade Weber anymore. Either they match the offer sheet, or let him walk. If they let him walk, the Preds will receive 4 first-round picks in compensation.

Essentially, Weber just screwed over Nashville. Poile has a tough decision to make.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

14 year contracts? That's insane.

4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

A year ago when I started following the Preds more, I thought I jumped on the bandwagon at the perfect time.

I was wrong.

Without Suter, the Preds can still be good. Without Suter and Weber, the Preds will suck. But the 4 first round picks could turn out to be the future of the team.

I bet they let him walk. It's a tough call when you're dealing with that kind of money. When the hell did hockey players start getting paid this much?

5. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

oh nice hockey talk!, i hope the Preds match the offer sheet. I'm a huge NYR fan so I'd rather not see his booming slapshot 6 times a year.

Plus I think your team is headed in the right direction. Isn't it a no brainer to match the offer?

6. XO

XO Nevada Native

Match

7. QGP

QGP MIKE HONCHO

The preds will match. They had 3 first round picks when they got Weber, Suter, and Klein. We see how that's played out. We have to match

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

He's gone. It was a nice run but never did get far enough for my liking in the playoffs.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Preditan

Preditan --- --- --- --- Staff

I disagree fully. Losing two of the best d-man in the NHL hurts, no doubt. But you have to remember, the Preds have the best defense prospects in the NHL. Poile is a mastermind when it comes to spotting a talented defenseman, and guys like Blum and Ellis can easily take over without too much damage being done.

We've got the same team we had last year, minus Suter and the two party boys (Rads and AK46). If Weber stays, great. If he leaves, chances are (from what I have heard), the Preds and Philly would make some sort of trade, not involving Weber, that would send some top-6 fowards to Nashville. It's sort of a....respect thing.....that these GM's have with each other. Poile and Holmgren(Flyers GM) are great friends.

10. Ewker

Ewker Starter

oh well crap happens

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar