Should Erron Kinney be traded or cut during the offseason?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bigreese82, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Well, I'd let him go ONLY if we were first approached by another team and it was for a 3rd or higher. A second, with the holes we have, I'd have to say bye-bye (cuz I'm thinking impact LB or S).

As far as using Kinney as a FB, he can do everything but run well. Running is not his strong suit.

2. They already tried Kinney as a FB. That didn't work.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

If we're going to keep Steve, we should keep Kinney for another reason. Steve is very comfortable with Kinney as a go-to guy on some important plays, and Kinney is probably more of a safe bet than anyone else on our team to catch the ball in coverage. He may not be very fast, but he's big and he's got hands. I'd hate to see him go, and I don't see anyone knocking the door down for him...

4. bigreese82

bigreese82 Camp Fodder

Do you guys agree that Kinney has the lowest upside between Bo and Ben Troupe?

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Kinney had his most productive season of his career with over 500 yards on 55 catches. There were times when he was basically our whole offense.
    Kinney is also 6'6, 275 pounds and one of our biggest problems to solve is to revive our running game. Getting rid of the best run blocking TE IMO is not a good idea. I say we stay pat at TE. We have versatility and depth with the guys we have and one less hole to try to fill.

6. GoTitans3801

Lowest upside between Bo and Ben Troupe? No way, I'll even go a little too far and say he has the highest upside and is the most valuable of all three to the team. I don't really even see any argument to how Bo could have more of an upside than Bo Scaife. The arguements for him against the other two are the same, but Ben Troupe is a better candidate to compete against him, so I'll argue that. Kinney has 6 years of experience, with Steve as his QB. In an offense where Steve is dealing with mostly new receivers, having someone he can count on in 3rd down situations is important. I don't even know how to get the stats on it, but think about the season. I remember tons of important drops by Troupe, including at least 2 for TDs in the last 2 or 3 weeks. I know Kinney has some, but in general I feel like he's got more solid hands, and makes the catches that hit his hands. Troupe looks like he has some great potential, but we know Kinney has the skills. We need blocking desperately, and Kinney is our best blocking TE. Kinney's got 2 inches on Ben Troupe, and just always seems to fall forward. I've definitely seen Troupe tackled and knocked backward quite a few times this year, and I can't remember seeing it with Kinney. Bo still hasn't really shown that much. He had some bad drops around the middle of the year, but a lot of his catches were dumps at the line of scrimmage for 1, maybe 2 yards. I feel like we see most of Kinney's catches in the 6-11 yard range. Kinney's YPC average is higher than both of the others, not much ahead of Troupe, but Troupe tore off a couple for long yards that pad his stats. Troupe's possible benefit is that breakaway capability, which I'll agree is great and I can't wait to see more of him. But at this point with our team, I think we've got to keep Kinney.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

:applause:

I have no idea why anyone would want to get rid of one of the more productive players on the team.

8. GoTitans3801

In case it wasn't obvious, ditto.

9. bigreese82

bigreese82 Camp Fodder

Mason

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Titans don't face the cap issues they had last offseason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar