Should football players be concerned by this?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by JCBRAVE, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I don't think so. Professional wrestling in the 80's-90's was a big drug culture. Probably still is. Just look at the chart in the article. Of the 13 wrestlers listed, 8 died of drug overdose or heart related issues (9 of 13 if you count Crush who is widely believed to have died from overdose).

These guys aren't dropping like flies because of the physical punishment they put their bodies through but because of what they've been putting into their bodies for years and years and years. While there are definitely NFL players who have issues with steroids and other drugs, I'd say the actual percentage of players who have these issues is far far less than it is (/was) with professional wrestlers.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

Good point, but you'd be surprised with what NFL players eventually get into once they're out of the league. I'm not as much worried about active players, as I am about the retired ones. Active players have to pass 10 or so drug tests a year, retired guys don't have to be clean for anyone. Is it five years after you retire that the league cuts you off? If so, that's the group I'd be interested in looking at. I know former O-Linemen Kyle Turley had to turn to marijuana to cope with his pain & other issues. And that was after he had been done playing for some time. Go find the guy, he's walking around Nashville somewhere in hope of becoming a musician.

4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Yeah Turley plays around here pretty frequently. BIG difference between marijuana and the harder drugs though. No one's ever died of a marijuana overdose. You may have a point though about retired players. But ultimately what someone does or puts into their body is up to them. Hopefully they can find other ways of coping with pain, depression, etc. And if the players were smart they should have plenty of money saved to cover most health issues they encounter. I have zero sympathy for a guy that made 6-7 figures a year but blew it all on cars, jewelry and partying.

There is obviously an issue with insurance of retired players though. These guys, more so than wrestlers IMO, really put their bodies through a ton of punishment throughout their careers. And they make a crap load of money for the owners and the league in the process. They should be covered for life (in most cases). If the current players would agree to take less money upfront via contracts perhaps something could be worked out for better benefits after retirement. We all know they'd never go for that though. THEY GOTSTA GET PAID$$$$!!!$$$

5. JCBRAVE

They say marijuana is a gateway drug, but I don't think that's necessarily true. It's also not as harmful as alcohol which is legal, most people are fully functional under the influence of weed. It just so happens, that most peoples first experience with anything is weed, so they use the "gateway drug" as a scare tactic. I think the act of using drugs opens the door for other things, and weed is just the easiest to obtain. But onto the rest of your post; this retired players thing you speak of is part of why we have this lockout going on. It certainly is an issue worth fighting for. IMO retired players should be covered medical wise.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

If you have Netflix I'd suggest watching a documentary called Bigger, Faster, Stronger. It's about steroid use in pro wrestling and pro weight lifting. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the guys on that list that died from heart related issues had enlarged hearts from taking steroids.

I'd also watch The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke. It's a really good movie and gives a pretty good glimpse in to an old pro wrestler's life that comes pretty close to the real thing.

7. JCBRAVE

I don't have Netflix, but have seen The Wrestler, even seen some behind the scenes stuff up in close a few years back. The stuff those guys do to get them mentally ready to perform is wild.

Maybe the NFLPA can use this info yahoo collected to help them get retired players benefits. I don't care what sport you play, smashing your head into things is the same any way you slice it.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Yeah I don't buy the gateway drug argument. I smoked a lot in my day. And I mean A LOT. Yet I never once tried cocaine. Never once took a prescription pill recreationally. Never did ecstasy, acid, etc. I'd actually argue alcohol is much more of a gateway into things like cocaine and pills than marijuana could ever be. But this is a discussion for another thread....

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I've been wanting to see B,F,S for awhile now. I'll have to check it out this weekend. Beyond the Mat is also a really good doc about the lifestyles of professional wrestlers.

10. JCBRAVE

Can we all agree that both wrestlers & football players are put through the same physical punishment? At the end of the day, both athletes seem to be sustaining the same kinds of injuries.

Performing in your sport will eventually lead to an injury, which in turn requires rehab of some kind, whether that be workouts or medications. That then could lead to depression if you're unable to get back to where you were, which again leads to other drug use. All that stuff takes a toll on your organs which lead to the failed kidneys and heart attacks.

Point is, because we see similar injuries, can we expect to see similar endings? Or are football players just wired better for copping with difficulties?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar