Should football players be concerned by this?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by JCBRAVE, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I think they are both put through great physical punishment. But I'd have to say football players, particularly certain positions, are put through a lot more. There's great risk for injury with wrestlers but at the end of the day it's fake and if everything goes according to plan then both wrestlers walk away unharmed or maybe with an aching back. In football guys are trying to hit you as hard as they can and it's for real.

Another thing I'd point out is that it's not uncommon for professional wrestlers to work for 20+ years. So of course after two decades of doing it you are going to have some issues. Football players on the other hand rarely have careers even close to that long. So when you compare the career of a professional wrestler to that of a pro football player they probably do have a lot of the same injuries and health issues. But when you compare the rigors of ONE football game versus ONE wrestling match I think football is hands down tougher and more dangerous.

As for depression and coping, I don't think it has much to do with the "wiring" of a wrestler versus a football player and everything to do with the lifestyle that goes along with each occupation. Even though I think the game of football is a lot tougher than a match of wrestling, I think that the life of a wrestler is MUCH tougher than that of a football player. First off, wrestlers aren't paid as much as you might think. Only the top shelf superstars make over a million a year. Second, the lifestyle itself is much more difficult. They're on the road for most of the year away from their families, friends and homes. So it would make sense that they are more prone to depression and drug use. With football you only have to travel 10 times per year (assuming no playoffs). And you're back with your family later that night or the next day. And the top level NFL superstars make significantly more than their wrestling counterparts. Same goes for the scrubs. Not to mention football players get to enjoy a rather ample offseason whereas there is none in wrestling.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

That all makes sense, and when I used the term "wiring", I meant something more along the lines of what you got into with offseason, and family. You're right, wrestling keeps you away from family which can be a world of a difference maker when you're facing adversity, whether that be emotional or physical. Great response.

Well this thread served it's purpose. I suppose football players don't need to be worried about whats going on in wrestling. Unlike WWE, the NFL allows you to heal, and be where your family is, while also paying much better so that you can afford to miss an event. Good discussion Dusty :).

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Yeah, after seeing that doc Beyond the Mat combined with different things I've read I can honestly say I have no envy for professional wrestlers. Sure the money and fame would be nice. But at the end of the day I'm still not sure it'd all be worth it. There's a lot of sacrifice, both physically and with your personal relationships. If you could keep your head on straight it'd be a nice life. But that seems to be extremely difficult for a lot of them.

4. JCBRAVE

Yea as a kid I thought being like Stone Cold would be great, but then I began noticing things in the older wrestlers that I didn't want for myself. It's a tough life to live. Props to those that pull it off, and still have something to walk away to.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Depends how you look at it.

If we go by match only, I'd say no, NFL takes more in one match than a wrestler does in one match.
    But over the course of a season/year, I'd say they'd probably be equal considering NFL is 16 weeks plus TC while WWE is 52 weeks, 2 times a week.

6. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

It bothers me that Congress is going after baseball and not WWE. I don't think they need to go after either but who cares if Bonds used steroids how many ball players are dead from steroids? Whatever the number, it pales in comparison to the amount of wrestlers who've died under 60. I know ever since the Chris Benoit thing WWE really stepped up their drug testing (although I'm still suspicious of them) but even if they've cut out drugs now are all those deaths of the past going unpunished? I understand nobody is forcing people to use drugs but if all this is happening on your watch, something's up.

7. JCBRAVE

Responsibilities force these guys to keep going, not to themselves, but to those around them. They'll take w.e. they have to in order to keep up. That's half the problem it seems. There's not enough time to properly heal, so they're ingesting a quick fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar