Should Locker have been running the option?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans coach Mike Munchak said he doesn’t second-guess the decision to use Jake Locker on an option, the play that led to the quarterback’s season-ending foot injury Sunday against the Jaguars.

Locker was making his third start since returning from hip and knee sprains.

“It’s something he’s very comfortable with. He’s been asking for more runs because he’s good at them,” Munchak said. “That’s like a bootleg … He’s on an edge, free, with one guy, making a decision. So I felt that was a very safe play.

“Yeah, he got hurt, so you wish something else happened. Yeah, we wish we would have called something else so it didn’t happen, but I think it was a very easy play for him to execute.”

Munchak suggested that Locker’s competitive nature might have gotten the best of him on the play, just as it did last season against the Lions when Locker hurt his shoulder trying to make a tackle following an interception.

“He’s always about making plays, just like when he went for the tackle. He’s always wanted to find a way to help the team win and I think he figured (he was going to get) a first down,” Munchak said.

“I’m not quite sure in that split second if he thought he was going to stop or maybe juke a guy, or he could maybe have flipped it back to C.J.? Could he have slid? He had options, but it was just a freak play. You can go back and look at those things, (but) you can do that 100 times and it wouldn’t happen again.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. razordaman

razordaman Starter

If he could throw the football he wouldn't need to option. Jake said it best, I'm good at running not throwing

3. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I refuse to say this was a bad call because it got us 8 yards on 1st down in a game where every first down and yard was critical. Jake ran 1 option play not a bunch. The hit he took wasn't even particularly violent.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. titanfanatic

titanfanatic I Piss Excellence Staff

Why is it so hard for Locker or any of these Quarterbacks in this league for that matter to slide especially with some of their history. I just don't get it. I understand its the fight in them and the tough man mentality but what are you proving in all reality? I watched RG3 last Thursday night running around like an a$$h*le dropping his shoulder,completely unnecessary. For what? a yard? Live to play another down. Sometimes it calls for it and i get that. RG3,Newton,Vick,Locker,etc. scrambling is part of their arsenal but half of their injuries could've been avoided by sliding. Every time Locker takes off i hold my breath and swear at the TV like he can hear me in his headset because i know hes not thinking about sliding. Well hopefully he takes a long hard look at his game and realizes that hes not going to last in this league if he continues to play the way he does.

5. Renfro95

Renfro95 Starter

You put words in his mouth. He never said "coach, I cant pass, but I can sure as hell run it." Its more about using all elements of Jakes game. Pure and simple.

6. RTH

RTH Meh...

I hate the option in the NFL. Don't care who runs it.

7. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

8 yards and McFitzTragic for the rest the year.... I wouldn't necessarily say that helps our odds.

8. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

lol

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

It's like they stole this topic right from one of our threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar