Should the NFL Go To A Lottery Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Architect, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Architect

Architect Pain Train

Do you guys think the NFL should go to a lottery draft similar to the NBA's system? I think it would keep teams from throwing games at the end of the season because the #1 and #2 pick in the draft wouldn't be guaranteed. I also think It would add some excitement at the end of the season for fans of teams that have already been eliminated from the playoffs.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Maybe before the new rookie salary cap. But not anymore.

3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Eh...

The NBA had a real problem with this because 1 player has such an impact. I don't think there is a problem with NFL teams tanking games (I wish the Colts would have tanked against us!) because it takes a lot of pieces to be successful.

4. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Nah, I like it the way it is. I don't really think teams "tank" very often. The players don't care who gets drafted, they will either play hard because they are competitive, or they won't because they have given up on the season/coach at that point. Playing for a draft pick is the last thing they care about.

Really the only way for a team to purposely tank for a draft pick is if the coach decides not to play the best players, this is something Fishface did a few times while he was here, but most coaches aren't afforded the same job security that Fishface had for so long here. A lot of coaches in that position need the wins just to keep their jobs. People thought the Colts might be tanking at the end of the year for Luck, but it cost the entire coaching staff and FO their jobs. I really doubt those people wanted Luck so bad that they sacrificed their jobs just so the Colts could have him.

And the excitement would be for the teams that were middle of the pack. Maybe they could have the #1 pick instead of the #20 or something. I'd be pissed if I was a fan of the worst team in the NFL and didn't get the #1 pick. That's the one perk that being really bad has, at least you get the pick of the litter and get ESPN to talk about you all offseason.

5. kaz

kaz Special Teams Standout

Nope. The NBA usually has 0-2 elite players come out every year, and they are more often then not identifiable right away. The NFL has blue chip players speckled all over the first round. Also, tanking has never been a problem in the NFL. You only have 16 games to play, everybody gives 100%.

6. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

I also think its hard to tank in the NFL because you will get blown up if you don't go close to all out.

7. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I personally think that the top 5 picks should be a lottery. If you get a top 5 pick... you suck anyways... and very rarely will one player won't change your team into a playoff team. I just think if the top 5 were lottery selections, you have teams that would see little value in tanking the season.

One of the most unfortunate things about the NFL is about week 15 we start talking about good teams resting their starters and bad teams tanking the season. I don't think a lottery is a fix all, i think its a deterrent though. Plus the teams can always trade them around...Because what if the number 1 team doesn't need the pick, adding that luck factor could help the team by getting extra picks down the line and picking up key players. I don't know.. I like change.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Show me a player that "tanks it" so the team can draft his replacement.
    Tanking is a myth.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

3 words...
    suck for luck

10. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    One of the dumbest ideas ever. Not the original poster bringing up the idea - but the actual NBA system in general.

It is widely considered by many to be the worst, dumbest, idiotic system in pro sports today.

I get the whole tanking thing (even though its not proven a team does it) and how it can be annoying but seriously a team who is as awful as the Charlotte Bobcats, for example, where their best player is Gerald Henderson and can't win more than a handful of games - to ONLY HAVE A 25% chance at the # 1 pick is ludacris!

On top of it, the whole process is shady the way Commish Stern handles it. It's all done secretly in a back room where no one can actually see the process done except a few schmucks in sports coats and a tie and then after a commercial break they show these enlarged, dumb, envelops with a teams logo on it and we all know the Commish skews it or is at least praying an East Coast or an L.A. team (Clippers) gets the #1 pick so all the revenue goes to a big city or a big market - I HATE THAT PROCESS ...

If that were the case, when the Titans are crappy and the Jets are medicore, miraculously the Jets would win a top 3 pick and the Titans would somehow slid to pick #8 ... ugh I can picture that now and these forums would be in an uproar on how Commish Goddell rigged the whole thing!

NO WAY - GET THAT LOTTERY CRAP OUTTA HERE ...

If you win 0 games out of 16 you get the #1 pick - not the 25% chance or whatever the percentages would be to have it.

Got off on an tangent but finally got a chance to spill by venom towards the single, most dumbest invention in sports of all-time!!!

• High Five High Five x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar