Should the NFL Go To A Lottery Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Architect, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewHorizans

NewHorizans Titans Ruckus (oYo)

No no no no no NOOOOO! I personally hate the lottery formate in NBA because it prevents the worst teams from having a guaranteed chance at the best players in the draft so they can get better. If luck doesnt go their way, they stay bad years and years. Plus, NBA is only a few rounds. With 7 rounds of players and all the trading up and down that goes on, the NFL works with having worst 1st and best last.

Can you imagine if it was a lottery??? And the Patriots or Steelers got a top 5 pick after being in the Super Bowl!!?? No way, it best the way it is.

Nice thread idea though

2. kaz

kaz Special Teams Standout

I don't think anyone would suggest involving playoff teams in the lottery.

3. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

Yeah it doesn't work that way or wouldnt work that way either way ... playoff teams arn't in the lottery and even teams that barely miss out on the playoffs dont have much of a chance if any to make the lottery ... Not sure on the exact rules of it all because its stupid and complicated.

The lottery though is just a handful of teams with a certain percentage of a chance to get the top #1 pick, it doesnt involve every team; just a handful of real bad ones.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Having seen my Grizzlies get screwed multiple times by the NBA draft lottery I say...

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

5. J Falk

J Falk Starter

I've been thinking about this for a while now. I think the lottery is an awesome idea. A team shouldn't have the capability of losing all their games just to get the #1 pick(Suck for Luck). A lottery definitely cuts down any possibility of that. Also, it would be yet another fun event for us to talk about in the offseason!

I know what you mean about the Grizzlies...ONE pick away from Lebron James...I will never forget that; instead, we had to give the pick away because of a prior trade that was only protected by the 1st overall pick...So instead of getting Lebron, Carmelo, D Wade or Bosh, we had the 13th pick, and with that pick selected Marcus Banks...

But hey! they say everything happens for a reason, and look where the Grizzlies are now!

6. MrBean

MrBean Master of Not Much

Look at the Sac Kings. They haven't been good since around 2001 and they keep getting screwed by the lottery system.

No effing way, sorry.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Has the NFL ever had an issue with teams tanking like the NBA clearly does?

The different salary cap system in the NFL doesn't encourage it like it does in the NBA. There were a handful of teams that tanked two or three years in a row, getting rid of all of their talented players to clear cap space in order to sign LeBron James. The Knicks, Nets and Heat clearly dumped every talented player they had(sans Wade) in hopes of bringing in James. Doesn't happen in the NFL.

The Colts won two of their late games and put themselves in a position of losing the first pick. In the Colts' last game in the fourth quarter their defense held the Jags to field goals instead of folding and giving up walk-in TDs.

Jim Caldwell and his entire staff get fired. Bill Polian gets fired. Were they supposed to benefit from tanking? Sure as hell didn't work that way.

Before you list all of the pros that a lottery would keep teams from tanking you need to show me teams tanking.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

no

9. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I think they should, and will at some point. It would help take away the "lets suck" factor so we can get the top pick. Also, the NFL probably sees it as just one more event they can put on prime time TV to get more ratings/money. I think that fact alone is enough for Goddell to change the rules. It's not like he cares about changing the draft format to make more money, we've all seen that.

10. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Worst 5 teams should be in the lottery. The thing I like about it is many of the teams in the bottom 5 seem to have the same record. I think a lottery is a better way to decide which of those teams with the same record should pick first. I'm not a really big fan of the tiebreakers such as, strength of schedule or better division record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar