Should we be worried that Vince can't throw deep?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ezeblazin, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanville

Titanville Need New Coach

From what I've seen, It doesn't look like the are asking him to do a whole lot at this point anyway. I think he has had more drops than he has had bad throws. I can remember 2 on Bennett now that he threw deep and Drew either gave up on it or just missed it all together, one to Williams, one to Wade and few others. As stated before, we dont' exactly have the best recievers in the league and until we get one or two dependable ones he's going to strugle with it. Drew's a great #2 reciever but it isn't a top receiver in the league, but then again, none of our recievers are top notch. He's not going to be a Peyton or Eli or anything of the sort, so I don't think people should be expecting that out of him.

2. Nine

Nine Starter

Personally, I'm not too worried about what we're not seeing from him...every rookie QB has limitations. Vince has struggled on a number of his deep throws, but that's way down on the list of things that are important right now. The most important things are his comfort level with the offense and his ability to manage the game...and in both of these areas, he has been absolutely stellar.

You can look back to his college days and see that he has the arm to throw deep, and is also plenty accurate; it's just a matter of getting more comfortable, and getting a feel for each receiver, and how they run their routes....how far to lead them, where each receiver likes to get the ball, etc.

I also think the coaching staff is trying to keep deep throws to a minimum. These are relatively high-risk throws against safeties who can cover a lot of ground. Vince had a few near-interceptions earlier this year, which probably led the coaches to back down off deep stuff a little until he gets a bit more seasoning.

Also keep in mind....you listed only the passes where Vince misfired. Add in the drops by Bennett and Wade, and you've got a guy who's hitting about 30% of his deep throws. Deep throws are low percentage throws by definition....even the best QB's rarely hit more than 40-50% of these throws.

Vince is coming along much more quickly than any of us would have believed possible, and has made noticeable progress literally every week. If he's still struggling with deep throws in a year or two, then maybe there's cause for worry. But worrying about it right now.....well, it's kinda like worrying about a 3-year old child who has trouble reading full sentences, when most 3-year olds can't read at all.

3. Vince needs to learn how to read defenses. My biggest concern hasn't been his accuracy (not that it's been perfect). By biggest concern is that he has thrown into some coverages that he should not be throwing into.

4. V-MAN

V-MAN I still believe

That is to be expected. Especially for a rook. But I will say that he has steadily improved since the Dallas game.

Funny some QB's never learn where to throw it...(David Carr)

I couldn't help myself.:grrhee:

5. smili

smili Starter

Leinart looked very good in the game vs. Chicago a few weeks back. I was very impressed. It looks like the team out in Arizona might be shutting down nowthough

6. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

VY is doing fine and is ahead of schedule, way ahead. As far as issue or area's of concern yeah his % is low but look where he is throwing no short checkdown routes or very few(remember when we all complained about the chow O being nothing but checkdowns), a few are concerned about his long ball, someone else said it but I will again his long ball is already better than McNair's ever was, the only thing I would say to VY is keep learning, hope that the $$$ spent of Givens works out and he becomes a important part of our O, make an effort to find Troupe he needs to be your best friend out there. I am way more concerned about our WR's not making plays on balls, Bennett has not even gone after several balls, it brings back bad memories of Chris Sanders.

7. Michi40

Michi40 Lost bullet

I fear nothing about VY

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Agreed.

I would add that VY made Carranikova look like the rookie sunday. Excellent compsoure and ZERO TOs. Ran when he had too and took his shots otherwise. Really an excellent job of QBing, especially from a guys third start.

Also the Titans were home favorites and went out and won the game. More pressure than a start as a road dog, or a home dog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar