SI.com in shock at TEN

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by thnom, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

TO wasnt a Free Agent at that stage (no one would have traded for him knowing he was going to be released)
    Walker isnt a Free Agent.
    Randel-el was signed the day before or so.

So yes, at that stage I think Givens was the best available.

2. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

"Available" doesn't really imply FA...

and I was assuming he meant this offseason, not the particular day that we signed Givens...

3. wg53

wg53 Starter

Randle El better? In no way is a #3 WR (that is what he was because he could not beat out Cedric Wilson) better than Givens.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

The day we got Givens he was the best option.

5. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

I think Randle El is definitely a better football player than David Givens. Randle El's value comes in his special teams and trick play abilities, now having said that I think Givens was a better fit for us. We already have Pacman for returns and gadget plays, so I think that Randle El's added value really isn't a bonus for our team. Now, I think Joe Gibbs will have plenty of gadgets for him in Wash.
    I too am worried that we overpaid for a guy that scored as much as Jarrett Payton last season, but I agree with Titans2008 that we probably paid what the market demands for a young top tier f.a. wr. If he takes the pressure off of Drew, then I'm all for it. I just wonder what they'll have to pay Drew when his deal is up.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

$4.8M a year is #1 money?

That's what we will pay david givens. A number that looks a little fat now but will be very reasonable a few years from now. That is not #1 money.

Note that this year givens only counts $2M against the cap but will average $5.5M for the next 4 years. Drew bennett is in his last year of his contract so we may not be able to afford him after 2006. We need somoene with possible #1 ability and givens has that as opposed to randle el. I guarentee you that if drew has at least 800 yards receiving this year it will cost $5M+ to get him.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Don't forget McNair's $23 million will be off the books at that stage (assuming nothing happens with his contract).

But we will have Givens, possibly Calico stepping up but still got Jones, Williams and Roby.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

It's not like Drew has Reese by the short hairs... What has he really done since he dropped that pass in the cold New England post season?:hmm: They should be able to re-sign him at a reasonable price I think. He started out as a UDFA... that's borderline amature... I bet Drew just wants to play... It's hard to imagine him growing a big head and heading off somewhere else. He'll take what Reese gives him I bet...

edit:
    if Drew can get that somewhere else... if that's too much... let him go.
    I love Drew but I really don't even think of him as a legitimate #1.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What has drew done since 2003?

Why do i even bother?

Bennett did have a 1200 yard season in 2004. Hello?

People think randle el is so great well in the last 4 seasons bennett has averaged 130 yards more than randle el's best season. bennett has averaged 742 yards in the last 4 and randle el's best year was 601 yards. Note that i'm including years when bennett was a #3 and even a #4. Bennett has been productive. He is not a hall of famer and will probably never make a pro bowl but he produces.

Still it is unlikely he will be a titan beyond 2006 because of the investment we have made in givens and our three young guys and the fact that calico is signed through 2007.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I agree with what your saying (and believe me it hurts me just as much as it hurts you), however Jones will be out most if not all of the year with his injury.

If Calico does not produce and maybe one of the three young guys doesnt produce much, doesn't look like producing leaving only Givens, Bennett and one other of the three producing this season.

If that happens and it is a hypothetical but Bennett may be back (depends on how much he wants as well, but we may pay more then we want for him).
    Jones isn't certain to be better this season nor could he be the same in 2007.
    Calico could be gone after this season if he doesnt step it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar