Sick of all our negative fans!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by DelawareTitan, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Link??

But realistically, why wouldn't he? Every step he takes on the practice field, in the weight room, in the preseason, and during the season is all a risk of getting hurt and never getting the money he deserves. If we don't take him off the the bargain bin salary we have him on and give him the money he deserves then he may just hold out. And who could blame him?

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

:rolleyes:

Let's see. I mention the NFC east is difficult. I mention the mistakes of the Giants.

But yeah, I have no idea what division the Skins play in. :rolleyes:

Follow your own advice and I'll show your posts respect again.

Until then, you are bandwagoner of opinions, such as signing an expensive free agent or haynesworth means we can't re-sign any star player on the team.

If you want to continue to live in salary cap purge fear from 2005 that's your choice. But I'm not going to respect these ridiculous notions of how teams can't sign players because of one expensive contract.

3. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

This entire thread is dedicated to one man. ^^

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm mad today like if it was September all over again. Just watched the week-2 game in Tennessee vs. the Texans. Kerry Fumbles away the game. I hate that old fart. So glad he's only a Titan one more year.

5. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

You mentioned lots of teams, but that's not the point. I want to hear more about why the Redskins have a better chance than the Titans.

No fear about the salary cap, and you already know that because it has been discussed.

My opinions are my own, just like yours are yours.

The Titans already spend in the upper half of the league annually on their roster. It's not like it's just a cheap team. It's not that teams can't sign players because of one expensive contract, it's that they intelligently decide not to. Again (and again, and again), an owner will only spend so much for a roster. So yeah, signing an expensive contract likely means the Titans would miss out on resigning some or signing some other players, such as Finnegan or CJ when it's time for them to re-up.

The Redskins are big players? Even after they signed Haynesworth last season, the Titans still spent approximately $10 million more for their roster than the Redskins spent for theirs. Why? Because they pushed a lot of Haynesworth's money into the future. They owe him a $21 million roster bonus on April 1st. The Redskins have obvious needs on their O-Line, LB's, QB, and RB. Who have they signed? Rex Grossman? Larry Johnson? LOL.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's not that a team can't sign expensive contracts but it has to be understood that it DOES impact options in a potentially big way.

For example, the Titans had around $20 mil in cap space in '09. Reinfeldt has said he wants $10 mil available in the event of a rash of injuries so that other players could be signed. I don't think anyone has any issue with a GM wanting an "emergency fund" for this reason.

Haynesworth cost the Redskins $7.9 last year against their cap which would mean the Titan could have signed him and still had over $10 mil in cap room last season. Not bad, right? The Titans keep Big Al and Reinfeldt still has his emergency fund.

What you have to remember is that Haynesworth's contract goes $8.8 against the cap in '10 (no way to know if 2010 is uncapped in March 2009), $10.6 mil in '11, $12.4 mil in 12 and, if they choose to pay a $20 mil bonus to keep him beyond, $34.2 in '13. In year's 2014 and 2015, it is set to be $15 mil and $12 mil.

In the meantime, besides Roos, Stewart and Amano, there are no Titans signed beyond 2012 except for the '09 rookie class. Understand this point because it's essential--the entire team with the exception of three on the OL and the '09 rookie class are GONE when there are three years left on Haynesworth's contracts due to be paid over $61 mil.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

It's always the same thing. Mention an expensive player and you guys want to bring up Roos, Stewart, Finnegan, CJ and re-signing them.

Maybe if we quit signing 5 Ryan Fowler's every offseason we could use that money for someone worthwhile!

First reason, the Colts are better than the Cowboys, Eagles, and Giants. It's easier for the Redskins to pass those teams than for our team to pass the Colts atop the division.

Now, for my second reason I said wild card. Thinking more on it, I'm not sure that is true. In the NFC, someone from the west has to make it and I doubt they also have a wild card. The North has the Vikings, Packers, and maybe Bears as decent contenders. The South has Saints and Falcons.

So maybe it is a wash regarding making the playoffs as a wildcard in the NFC or AFC. Last year the NFC wild card's did have a better record, but two playoff teams were from the NFC east. The Redskins need to compete better against the teams in their division.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

A team's cap amount is made up of the top 53 players. If you choose to spend more on one or two, that means that a lot of your depth and special teams are rookies or guys playing for very little.

9. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Ryan Fowler is a good example of the way this team builds. He was a stop gap solution. He helped shore up our run defense while Tulloch was steadily making progress. He kept us competitive until Tulloch took the position. Surely you remember how horrible our run defense was before Fowler. Hardly worthwhile, right? Meanwhile, the Skins will likely be fielding Jason Campbell and Larry Johnson thanks to the money they have tied up in an underachieving Haynesworth.

I'll take five good players over one great player any day.

The Colts are better than those teams, but it's not easier for the Redskins to pass those teams than it is for us to pass the Colts. It's like saying the Lions have a better chance.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Jason Campbell and Larry Johnson aren't the worst two guys a team could have. Much better than some other QB-RB tandems out there.

And the thinking that having one big time money maker kills a whole team is wrong. Peyton Manning demands a lot, but seems to be on good teams every year. I know their RB effort is minimal, but they somehow make it to the playoffs every single year. If your GM has half a brain, you stagger your payroll to absorb certain salaries certain years.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar