Sign Chris Johnson now!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Contract comparison..

Rolltide's model contract for CJ vs Steven Jackson's 2008 contract.

CJ model 7 years $60M
    Jackson 6 years $44M

Annual average compensation
    CJ model $8.5M
    Jackson $7.3

Signing bonus
    CJ model $17M
    Jackson $11.5M

Average annual salary

CJ model $5.1M
    Jackson $4M

So my model is a very reasonable deal. It's worth 15% more in total value per year and CJ's SB is 50% better.

FYI Jackson's production has remained unchanged since receiving the contract. He had his 2nd best season of his career in 09.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's about guaranteed money. Jackson got $20.5mil in guaranteed money. CJ wants $30-$40mil. I bet the low end of that is based on a five-year deal and the higher end on a six or seven.

3. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

How do you circumvent the 30 percent rule with a $17 million signing bonus? It's a great model contract, and CJ definitely deserves it, but how would you get it done this year?

I will say one thing, it would make more sense to sign CJ to a seven year contract now while he's still young. Of course, that's assuming he would honor his new contract throughout. Often enough, you see guys signing six and seven year deals when they are 27 or 28. Doesn't make sense.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Anyone playing at a probowl level through a 7 year contract will start wanting a new contract at year 5. They'll start mentioning it prior to year 4. It's how these guys get paid the most. I also see nothing wrong with that.

(that's not to say CJ will play at that high of a level for 5 straight seasons)

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Signing bonuses don't count towards the 30%.

6. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I understand, but the numbers don't add up.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Ah, yes..
    You are correct.

8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

As they should. If he gets a new contract, plays at a high level for TWO seasons, see's another RB get a new contract, he may ask for yet another contract. This would be a problem. Five seasons into a seven year contract, sure. A player should be getting vocal about their contract status.

9. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Regardless of what should, shouldn't, will and will not happen, I would like to see this distraction behind the team. I'd almost rather hear about Brett Favre.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

In referencing that Football Outsiders article, the bonuses can be spread out over the length of the contract in the form of escalator and workout bonuses.

http://www.aaronschatz.com/under-cap/2010/under-cap-30-percent-rule

But the scenario in the article doesn't get CJ anything close to $30-$40mil guaranteed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar