Sign Chris Johnson now!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Now that's bad when you'd rather hear about Favre. Lord knows we won't hear enough about him.

2. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

A decent read to be sure, but that contract comes up way short. I find it difficult to believe he's going to sign a five year $25 million contract. Better than what he has now? Yes, but that contract would only insure that we would be renegotiating his contract again within two years.

3. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

we talk more about CJ's contract than the front office does.

They just arent worried about CJ and his contract unless he doesnt show up for mandatory camp. missing OTA's is not big enough deal for them to take action now.

They must call CJ's bluff, and even then CJ could be screwing his self with the 30 day rule if he doesnt show up in August. Only way Cj gets paid is if the titans are feeling nice about it. But they dont think 2nd year players have put in enough time to demand more money. you still more of a rookie at 2 years than at vet.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

In terms of just salary Sproles is the highest paid RB he makes $7M this year from his tender.

Tomlinson was the highest paid RB with a $10M a year contract that was amended last year.

In short the contract model i used imperfect it may be would make CJ one of the highest paid backs in the whole league. What else does he want.

5. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I'm not saying you put forth a bad model. I am asking how you accomplish that with the 30 percent rule in place. Are there any limitations on escalators (apparently they don't count toward base salary)? I know they have to be approved.

On the other hand, we don't know. Perhaps the Titans offered CJ an incentive laden contract. CJ and every other player holding out wants a lot of guaranteed money, and likely because of the same reason the owners don't want to come off with the guaranteed money i.e. the future of the league up in the air.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Way back when, we talked about the Titans and CJ doing a deal much like the Titans did with Haynesworth his franchise season. This would allow the Titans to do something now which they can live with and get some money to CJ with the big contract being negotiated once the new CBA is in place in 2011 or 2012.

For example, the Titans give CJ a new five-year deal worth $40-$45mil and guarantees him up to $30mil. Let's say that $10mil of that is a signing bonus he gets in 2010 with another $3mil in '11 and $2mil in '12 (the end of his current contract). Build into it incentives like the Rams did Stevens which make the last two years voidable by either party if certain numbers are reached (say 1,400 yards rushing/500 yards receiving on average the next three seasons). If that is met, the Titans and CJ create a new contract for '13 or CJ can go onto free agency as he's set to do now. If he doesn't meet the numbers, then the final two years kick in and he gets around $15mil of bonus for those final two seasons guaranteed plus his base.

I see this as being pretty sweet for both sides. CJ makes around $20mil his final three seasons if he hits his numbers and then get his huge payday. If he doesn't make his numbers, he still gets another $15mil plus for the final two years for a total of $30mil guaranteed which is what he's asking for now. If he were to have a career-ending injury in 2012, then the Titans only absorb the $15mil bonus those final two seasons.

Once the CBA is reached, the option to tear up this contract and do a new one from scratch still exists. And I have no doubt CJ would probably demand a new contract before playing this one out too.

If he's not willing to do something like this, I doubt he sees anything until the new CBA is in place in 2011.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

This is about paying market value. CJ has performed above his contract. He wants (and is testing) market value. The Titans just want value as usual.

The only way CJ demands a new contract if in a couple of years is if his performance exceeds the value of his contract. That is a dynamic process. Nobody can "guarantee" he will want a new contract unless his performance exceeds his current contract. He is not being unreasonable to want more pay at this point. IMO- the Titans are gunshy and cheap not to deal with the contract situation by making an offer similar to what TJ has outlined.

It is a win-win situation if CJ has outperformed his re-worked contract. Our FO and too man fans are paranoid that somehow the FO is not in control if they do re-work a contract.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

If this is true, something is really wrong with the NFL. Sproles is a part-time back with limited abilities.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Not the NFL but the chargers who gave him a 1st and 3rd rd tender as a restricted free agent. That tender was for $7M. All salary.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

There is no contract like that. Guarantees are usually about 40% of the total contract with 60-65% of the guaranteed money up front.

For a $45M deal guarantees would run about $17-18M with a SB around $11-12M

The only way he can get $40M guaranteed is if he is willing to sign for 9 or 10 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar