SIGN RAY RICE NOW!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Hammer, Sep 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

To answer the question posed by the thread, I would definitely have him in for a look AFTER he serves his punishment (which I am guessing will wind up being the full season at this point..."indefinite" has been shown to actually mean "we will establish a date after the media storm blows over"). If he looks more like the 2012 version of Ray Rice than the 2013 version, I would sign him if we could. If he looks more like the 2013 version, I would probably pass, as it would indicate that age has caught up to him.

I vaguely remember the Brad Hopkins incident (was in the middle of moving my family from South Carolina to Wisconsin at the time, and I was not on this site at that time). Basically he served a short (looks to me like one game, but I may be off on that) suspension for this violation. From a criminal standpoint he had to do a variety of community activities and attend a program similar to the one Rice is now attending, after which the incident was expunged from his record. The reaction is most definitely different between then and now, and I sum up the difference in reaction in two words....social media.

There is good and bad associated with the prevalence of social media today, and I consider this type of a situation an example where it is a good change. I understand and sympathize with the concerns about "mob justice", and think that these situations need to continuously be tempered by that concern.

However, I also remember reading on this site (before the latest video) various defenses of Rice that included topics such as "shadow of doubt" and "he said - she said". Well, this video (and the quick distribution of it via social media) completely removed that argument from this subject. In the past (even as recently as the Hopkins incident in 2005) this type of communication was not nearly as utilized as it is today, allowing organizations (the NFL and Titans at that time) to be able to better control (and tamp down, when it was deemed necessary) the flow of information on a topic.

There are bad sides to this new part of our culture as well, but this is not an example of that IMO.

2. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Let's face it guys.. We've all knocked out a woman at least once. Give him a chance.

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. RTH

RTH Meh...

... um... no.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Nah, never, What Ray Rice did was wrong, I don't care if she slugged him. At worse you tangle her up so she stops throwing.

That said, as a FO if I needed help at RB, better believe I pick him up. It's a business and winning sells, be it tickets, merch, concessions, etc. Sure you'll get a bit of media backlash, until Rice puts up 120 yards and a TD and helps with the W's. Then everyone will forget what he did, pretty much like it was prior to TMZ releasing the video yesterday. I'd be for grooming Sankey a bit more and signing Rice, but I think we're okay where we're at with RB and there's another teams who need the help more.

He might not play this year, but watch a starting RB go down in the next couple weeks and someone may give him a shot. How's it work with the NHL, since they suspended him? Say if a team wanted to sign him? I know he has 1 game left on his suspension, or has that been lifted in lieu of being suspended from the league?

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I know this is a thread poking fun at TWW2, but still

jcbq.jpg

• LOL LOL x 1
  6. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

It's not poking fun at tww2...

Ask Hammer who he was imitating when he made the thread.

7. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

I really thought that was going to come off as sarcasm.

Sorry.

8. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Haha my bad, no worries

9. RTH

RTH Meh...

Heh, gotcha.

Yeah... sarcasm doesn't work too well on the Internet - unless readers know you or there's a sarcasm acknowledgment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar