Site may be down for a few hours

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I was just informed that a migration of our current server to a new one will be happening within the next 24/48 hours. That may put us offline for a few hours.

I'll post more details when I can.

2. TitanJeff

What started out as being something which would take only four hours took about 36. The data center moved the hard drive to another server but something got corrupted during the reinstall which took about a day to sort out.

We continue to shop for an upgrade. It's unlikely we make the move until after the end of the season because of the downtime it would create. Things should be settled now for the remainder of the season.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

thanks Jeff. I was wondering what was going on... not all that bad though... I found the facebook page!

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

and here I thought VY starting blew it up.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

lol! me too!!!

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

When I was with a web dev company, we always leased our servers from CalPop. I must say that CalPop, atleast back in the day, had the best pricing as far as servers and colo prices go. Whenever I had a problem, we'd call them up and someone would be in the cage fixing our issues asap. Again, I haven't dealt with them since 2006 though

However, Having your servers in LA probably doesnt make much sense because most of your visitors are probably east cost/ south east usa. I have heard great things about the Planet (if its still called that) in Dallas, Tx and I have toured the facilities at Equinix in Chicago. They are top notch.

We always used Cogent bandwidth with our servers because there was no need in paying for premium bandwidth for what we were doing. I would venture to say the same thing about this site.

Take my suggestions with a grain of salt because I'm sure you are well versed in all of this as I have moved out of Web Dev around 2007 and into Corporate dev since then.

7. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Yea, all i could think about was wow, VY is causing a buzz around here.

8. TitanJeff

I have been visiting WebHostingTalk.com and learned a lot. The Planet gets decent reviews but there are a couple of others who host out of Chicago that I'm looking at. Once is GigeNET which is getting great reviews and seem to have some of the better pricing. Hear of them?

9. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

WHT is a wonderful resource. Be careful though, a lot of companies won't necessarily directly target you by saying "Hey try our service" but by establishing a positive relationship within the community, they will sell you on their services just by being helpful. Not to say thats a bad thing because most companies, you can't go wrong with. Infact, most outfits are loosely connected as it makes business sense to share facilities, technicians, etc etc.

The DC at Equinix in Chicago was amazing. To do a tour, I had to call a few days ahead and they had to check out my background because of the data that's stored there. We couldn't even get close to a cage that was protected by armed guards/possibly military contractors. Some sort of DoD servers are housed there. So are ticketmaster servers/ google servers/ etc etc...

There are biometric hand scanners and the doors for the entrance points were doors that you would expect to see in some sort of science fiction movie. It was amazing.

As for Gigenet, I don't know much about them so I can't give a thumbs up or down opinion. I do know about a company called SingleHop. I can tell you that the people who run that company are the same people who once operated one of the largest hosting networks online today (They sold it) and I don't think you can go wrong with them because I know what kind of technicians and how well versed they are in the craft of the internet.

Now, again, they may be a little more pricey but I know that they own their own DC in the Chicagoland area and have their own technicians. I've always gotten straight forward and simple answers when dealing with their outfits in the past. My best advice would be to do your homework, because most companys you go with will essentially offer the same thing... It's the support you pay for. I know a company here locally that I wouldn't recommend anyone too. I wont say their name, but I know personally.. about some "Oh **** moments" they have had because I know someone who works there. Good luck sir and I hope I have helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar