Sketch Cards

Discussion in 'Memorabilia' started by PhiSlammaJamma, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I took a risk and bought my first Topps sketch card. Although I am a big card collector, I am not a sketch card collector. And I am not yet sure how I feel about these cards, but saw one i liked, and bought it. I know a lot of you collect based on enjoyment. I collect for both enjoyment and potential value. So while I like the card, I am also rooting for value too.

What I like is that they are one of a kind. So I see some potential interest here. Especially in the first couple of years before mass production kicks in. But where does the value come from, the player, or the artist, or neither... I don't know.

What I don't like is that the artists are often bad, and relatively unknown in the sketch business. The only artist I know is the diamond king artist, Perez Steele. So you have to ask yourself what is the point if the artists are unknown. The potential for fake cards is possible too. So I think Topps has to do some work to protect the collectors.

What I think will be interesting is that art value is normally based on the artist, but on a baseball card, it is normally based on the player. So you have this conflict of what is more valuable to the collector. And given that sketch artists are not that famous in the baseball world, I wonder how that will play out.

I don't think sketch cards are going away anytime soon. So I think it will be part of the hobby for a while. Just don't know where they will fall. They have been a big part of the comic book world for a while now, but baseball is just getting started.

I went with a comic artist rather than a realist. I just liked it better. and I thought this card captured the spirit of Jackie Robinson better than any other card. Laugh at me or not, but I did it. And I'll just wait this out and see what happens.

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.