Sketchy VY Rookie Premiere auto

Discussion in 'Memorabilia' started by titanbuoy, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Some of you might be trying to take advantage of the decline in value on VY's stuff to grab a sig on the cheap (relatively speaking). Just thought I'd give a heads-up on what I personally think is a somewhat dicey looking VY card.

link

I don't recall any of the VY rookie premiere autos looking at all like that... it looks somewhat like his more recent sigs. This seller has been known to be on occasion a little dicey. The 06 Rookie Premiere cards are a little tough... Topps released blank versions to the players themselves so they could sign and exchange with each other at the event (of course a few of the unsigned versions found their way to dishonest types who penned their own sigs). The authentic pack pulled sigs have a Topps Hologram sticker on the reverse... which is cool. But scammers, being the devious bunch that they are will peel the hologram off of a lesser card... and apply it to their forgery... so even if the card has the sticker there's no guaranteeing you have the real deal.

This seller doesn't mention the hologram one way or another, and the card may indeed be legit, but to me it looks fishy and given some of the things I've read about this guy, I'd be uncomfortable making the leap of faith that this is the real deal (regardless of whether it has the Topps authenticity hologram or not).

Here's my VY that I purchased in 2006 for $230 (OUCH!)
    [​IMG]
    note the difference in the sig
  2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ® Tip Jar Donor

Wow,huge difference in the sig.
  3. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

C79, just to be certain I don't cause you to freak out when you get home. The 08 Rookie Premiere autos don't have any hologram, the pack pulled versions have the text "certified autograph issue" on the front... the ones the players were given have "player's issue".

[​IMG]
  4. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

That deff doesnt look like his sig
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Yao

At least the Rose Bowl will help maintain his value to some degree over the years. But he will definately be on the decline now. I have 3 VY cards, but well worth the risk. He will only need one superbowl to bring him back onto the map. Nobody will be looking at his numbers ever. They will be looking to see if he comes back, and america loves a comeback story now that he's fallen down.
  6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ® Tip Jar Donor

Good to know man.............I have "certified autograph issue" in hand.:woot2:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.