Slow in Recovery, DT Long Progressing

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: During the preseason games, he's taken only a few snaps in each. But DT Rien Long continues to work back slowly from his Achilles injury which caused him to miss the entire 2006 season. "It's been training camp type of things that have been bothering him," Coach Jeff Fisher said. "He's not having any problem with the Achilles. It's just he has been out for a year and he's waking up every morning with something else sore, but he'll work his way through it." GM Mike Reinfeldt said Long should be worth waiting for. "What he does would help us greatly," Reinfeldt said. "It's a rare commodity, the ability to rush the passer from the inside. Guys who can do it from the inside kind of disrupt the whole offense. There are not a whole lot of those guys."

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

Just take your time, we are looking good so far on the defensive side!

3. jcbeerbarian

jcbeerbarian Guest

Long sucks...he is always hurt and can't play the run.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I don't know about the always hurt comment. As far as I can remember the achilles was the only injury he has had. The team sure missed him last year considering they couldn't stop the run or get pressure on the passer without him in the game. Long is a rare commodity and can be very valuable.

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Long has struggled against the run in the past, but he made several great stops against the Pats. If he's improved there, Long will be extremely valuable. But even if he's only an inside pass rusher, he's very good at it and definitely worth a spot in the rotation... especially for a team that plays the Colts twice a year - hard to get to Peyton from the outside. He's had 1 injury - it just happened to be a really bad one.

6. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

he did make some great stops against the pats, i dont think he will ever be valuable tho.

7. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

He was decent before but I don't see him being like his old self which wasn't anything special to begin with.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Long had 5 sacks one year (and a number of QB hurries in addition to the sacks). Thats pretty darn good for a part time DT. The most sacks AH has ever had in a whole season is 3. Also, from watching him play the few plays he did play I think he can be effective this year as a part time rushing DT.

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Yea, it's just that he's been out-of-sight out-of-mind that makes people not get excited about him... and the potential that he won't fully recover from the achilles. But Washburn absolutely loves Long. I'm not sure I've ever heard a coach go on about a player the way Wash does with Long. Barring another injury he'll be with the Titans for a while, and will prove his worth.

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I think he's worth a roster spot if he's close to where he was, or looks like he can get there relatively soon. Well at least the way the roster sits now with only Mahelona as real competiton (and I'd maybe keep both).

I do think he looked a little slow the other night, and I wouldn't call his plays "great". On one, an o-lineman looked like the bull falling for the red hanky. Long did make some plays, just not really spectacular to me. But who can complain at this stage? I'm hoping he gets back to form and rejoins to d-line rotation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar