Smitty's 2007 Colts Week One Preview

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Smitty46953, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitty46953

Smitty46953 Starter

Smitty’s 2007 Colts Preview

Week One​

New Orleans Saints (0-0) at Indianapolis Colts (0-0)​

Date & Time: Thursday September 6, 2007 @ 8:30 pm est.
    TV: NBC WTHR-13 Local
    Radio: WFBQ Q-95 (94.7 FM)

Where:RCA Dome,
    100 South Capitol Ave.
    Indianapolis, IN 46254
    Capacity: 57,890
    Surface: Field Turf
    Odds: Colts -5.5 Over/Under 52.5
    Last Meeting: Colts 55 @ Saints 21 (9/28/2003)

With two of the National Football League's best passers the Saints Drew Brees and the Colts Peyton Manning accompanied by two of the league's most talented offensive units facing off against one another, Thursday night's regular-season opener between the New Orleans Saints and the Indianapolis Colts is expected to be a "must see" event for a nationwide viewing audience.

Throw in the Colts pregame Super Bowl championship banner presentation along with a concert by native Hoosier John Mellencamp, and the RCA Dome should be one rowdy place.

The key for the Colts and the Saints, however, will be to zero in on the job at hand and to not get too caught up in all the pregame hype and glitz. That might be easier said than done. Both teams, however, should be used to the attention after highly successful seasons a year ago.

The Game:
    Controlling the tempo of the game, both offensively and defensively will be the key to a Colts victory this week. Indianapolis has had success at getting out to a quick start in the past and doing that against a very good New Orleans Saints team is imperative. The crowd will be fired up for the season home opener after the raising of the Super Bowl banner and the Colts will need to feed off that excitement, especially our defense.

The Colts will probably attempt to strike early and attempt to get New Orleans back on their heels. That means spreading the ball around offense and getting the likes of Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne. Dallas Clark and Joseph Addai involved in a hurry.

Defensively, the Colts will need to find a way to slow down the tempo of the New Orleans offensive attack. After leading the NFL in total yards a year ago, the Saints' offense will have something to prove in their match up with the Colts; that it wasn't a fluke. While many are expecting a shootout in the passing game between two All-Pro Quarterbacks, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning, the Saints could try to pound the ball on the ground against the Colts' porous run defense. Yes, I said porous until they prove different. Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush could be keys to opening up the passing game if they can be effective early, especially on the perimeter. On defense, the Saints simply can't give up the big pass plays that hurt them at times last season. For the Colts stopping the run and putting pressure on quarterback Drew Brees forcing him into third and long opportunities will be the key to how well Indianapolis does stopping the powerful Saints offensive attack. Brees has played well against the Colts in the past when he was the starter at San Diego. And he has played well in leading the Chargers to big wins at the RCA Dome. So getting to Brees early and often, trying to upset his timing with his receivers, will be very important.

Some Match Ups to Watch
    The Saints Left Tackle Jamaal Brown vs. the Colts Right Defensive End Dwight Freeney. This should be a good one. Brown earned All-Pro honors last season, but he should get a solid test from Freeney with his speed off the edge. One problem for Brown is that he could be rusty from missing the last four exhibition games and about three weeks of practice after bruising a bone in his right knee during a training camp injury. Advantage: Freeney

The Saints Right Corner Back Jason David vs. the Colts Wide Receiver Reggie Wayne. David played the last three years with the Colts, but now he finds himself on the other side of the fence in trying to keep up with the Colts Reggie Wayne. The Saints gave David a rich contract to pry him away from the Colts as a restricted free agent, so they'll expect him to earn his keep right away against his former teammate and hope his familiarity with them pays off, it won’t. Advantage: Wayne

The Saints Right Defensive End Will Smith vs. the Colts Left Tackle Tony Ugoh. Smith, a Pro Bowl pick last season with 10.5 sacks, should have the upper hand in this match up. Smith, who already has recorded 26.5 sacks in his three-year career, is going against a rookie. Even though Ugoh was highly regarded as a second-round draft pick, he was rushed into the starting lineup this summer with 10-year starter Tarik Glenn abruptly retired. I look for the Colts to help Ugoh with a Tight End or Running Back but will be a learning experience for Ugoh.
    Advantage: Smith

Smitty’s Prediction: Colts 27 Saints 24

I throw one of these together each week on our site. Thought would share it with you guys. If would rather I did not let me know... :ha:

2. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Good luck..but you know I got to root for the saints....!

41-35 SAINTS

3. moose4now

moose4now Starter

:jump:

4. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Now I remember why I took Bush in fantasy. Maddenesk numbers against the Colts D in a 45-43 loss.

5. Titantonic

Titantonic Camp Fodder

Always good to read a serious assessment of another team or another game. Thanks, and well done.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

IF this game reaches a 40 - 30 result, I don't care who wins.
    Can't wait to watch tomorrow though.
    Nice post though Smitty.

By the by, Colts and defense should never be mentioned in the same sentence. :))

7. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

I predict Gayton will finally come out of the closet.:grrhee:

8. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

Good prediction Smitty, though I personally have been fed too much propaganda to believe that at least one team won't break thirty. I predict it being the Colts, with a last-minute TD to put the game away.
    Of course, I'll be cheering for the Saints to win 473-0, with Marques Colston pulling in every single TD. I wonder if he'll be a bust for me in fantasy this year? And no, I'm not sure if 473 is a possible score. Just a random string of numbers. Though theoretically it could've just been 235 safeties and a field goal. ...Smith vs. Ugoh could yield those results. :drunk:

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Every score from 2 - infinite is possible.

10. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

Man, Will Smith is going to destroy Tony Ugoh. How's that for a first challenge?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar