Smitty's Week 3 Colts Preview

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Smitty46953, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitty46953

Smitty46953 Starter

Smitty’s 2007 Colts Preview

Week Three

Indianapolis Colts (2-0) @ Houston Texans (2-0)

Date & Time: Sunday September 23, 2007 @ 1:00 pm est.
    TV: CBS (Regional) HD
    Radio: WFBQ Q-95 (94.7 FM)
    Where:
    Reliant Stadium
    One Reliant Park,
    Houston, TX 77054
    Capacity: 71,500
    Surface: Grass
    Odds: Colts -6.5 Over/Under 47.5
    Last Meeting: Colts 24 @ Texans 27 (12/24/2006)

Our defending Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts needed a defensive stop last weekend in order to preserve a close 22-20 win over our AFC South rival the Tennessee Titans. They could be tested again this weekend as they visit the 2-0 upstart Houston Texans. The Texans are shooting for their first 3-0 start in franchise history. The Texans will be fired up to be able to have the biggest game in franchise history take place at Reliant Stadium. Memories of defeating the Colts, 27-24, last season at home are still fresh in their minds and their fans.

Last Weeks Games:

The Colts wereheld to six points in the second half last Sunday, allowing the Tennessee Titans to pull within two points before their final drive. The Colts defense held Tennessee to 18 yards on eight plays before collapsing on Vince Young to force a botched lateral on fourth down. The Colts recovered the errant lateral and held on for a too close for comfort 22-20 win. Our defense stepped up and saved the day but who could not forget last season’s sixty yard field goal and the last second loss to the Titans.

In this game Peyton Manning completed 28 of 42 passes for 312 yards with a touchdown pass to Tight End Dallas Clark and one interception. Marvin Harrison caught six passes for 87 yards while Reggie Wayne added five receptions for 70 yards. The Colts rushing attack was led by Joseph Addai who rushed twenty times for 81 yards and a touchdown.

The Texans bid for its first 2-0 start ever was in danger last Sunday, when the Texans fell behind the Carolina Panthers 14-0 in the first quarter. However Houston scored the next 34 points in the 34-21 win, setting a franchise record for most points scored in a game. Texan Quarterback Matt Schaub threw for 227 yards and two touchdowns, both to Wide Receiver Andre Johnson who had seven receptions for 120 yards against the Carolina Panthers. Texan Tight End Owen Daniels added five receptions for 58 yards. Running Back Ahman Green rushed fifteen times for 71 yards and a touchdown.

Texans Keys for Success:

1. Keep the Colt Offense on the sidelines: Texan Quarterback Schaub must take his time breaking the huddle and milk every second off the clock on every snap. Green and Dayne have the size and power to wear down the Colts' smaller defensive line and move the chains. Manning cannot hurt the Texans if he is standing on the sideline. The closer the game is in the fourth quarter, the greater the impact Houston's home-field advantage will play.

2. Test Colts left tackle Tony Ugoh: Houston defensive end “Super” Mario Williams will be sent off the edge and asked to generate pressure from Manning's blind side. After all, his pass-rush ability was the primary reason the Texans selected him No. 1 overall in the '06 draft. So far the rookie from Arkansas left Tackle Tony Ugoh has done a decent job of stepping in for Tarik Glenn, but he still is a rookie. Expect the Texans defensive coordinator to test Ugoh from the get go.

3. Force Colts to kick field goals: The Colts will move the ball and score points with elite weapons at every skill position and a smart offensive line. But Houston has to make it tough for them inside the 20. The Texans can not sit back in zone coverage and let Manning pick them apart. Their defense must buckle down in the red zone and challenge the Colts' receivers to keep them from scoring. Forcing what appeared last week to be a somewhat flustered Adam Vinatieri to kick field goals.

Colts Keys for Success:

1. Utilize Bob Sanders in the box: With Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson out with a knee injury, Sanders won’t be needed as much in pass coverage. By playing closer up in the box basically as a fourth linebacker, Sanders will be free to roam and play the run first. Ahman Green and Ron Dayne deliver a decent 1-2 punch, however the Colts defense figures to tighten against the run as the Texans find themselves without a true deep threat. Sanders will help neutralize the run and force Schaub to find a new go-to guy in the passing game. The Texans tight end Owen Daniels appears to be Schaub's next favorite receiver.

2. Manning should attack Demarcus Faggins: The Colts Peyton Manning needs to look for Faggins and challenge him rather than Dunta Robinson, who is rapidly becoming one of the leagues best cover corners. Colt receivers Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison both create instant mismatches against Faggins. Last week, the Panthers' Steve Smith blew by Faggins for two touchdowns. Faggins lacks the speed or acceleration to consistently cover either of the Indianapolis' wide receivers. Without safety help, Faggins is a sitting duck.

3. Establish the run: The Texans' run defense allows only 69 yards per game, but the Colts average 122 yards rushing per game. The Colts want to remain balanced in their attack. Something will need to give here. "Balanced" for the Colts is 60 percent pass, 40 percent run. By staying balanced, Indianapolis will prevent Houston from dropping extra defenders into coverage where they are playing at a disadvantage, and Manning can pick them apart.

Series History: This will be the 11th meeting, with the Colts leading the series 9 games to 1. Houston's only win in the series came last season as the Texans pulled out a 27-24 victory at Reliant Stadium on Dec. 24, 2006. The Texans Kicker Kris Brown's 43-yard field goal as time expired proved to be the difference for Houston in last year's win. The Colts posted a 43-24 win at the RCA Dome in the first meeting of the two teams last year.

My Take: This game can go a couple of different ways, but it won't. If the Texans cannot make up for the loss of Andre Johnson it could get ugly early. We have looked a little more stout so far against the run. Last year the Texans kicked us while we were down and snagged their only victory EVER against the Colts. We have somewhat changed our defensive pressure only strategy and closed the gaps better while meeting the ball carriers with multiple bodies not just one. The Texans secondary is a little beat up. Having to replace both Safeties is not easy this early in the season. This could spell doom against our Colts if you are forced try to match us score for score. How can this Texans secondary contain Harrison, Wayne, Gonzo, Clark, Utecht, and Addai? The Colts defensively match up well against an undermanned Texans Receiver group. I have been impressed with the Colts newcomer Ed Johnson at defensive tackle and Freddy Keiaho who I hope is available this weekend. The Indianapolis Defense swarms to the ball, gang-tackles, and is one of the quicker defenses in the league. Although we are undersized, we do not seem to be afraid to hit.

Time management is crucial for the Texans. I do look for Ahman Green to have nice day but nothing outrageous like Dayne did last year. Without Andre Johnson, the Texans have no major threats. Yes Houston you do have a problem and I see this one getting away from you fast. The Colts will be a little hungry for revenge and the Texans do not have the personnel to get the job done. Yes you have a few emerging players on D, a good young QB, decent RB, but not enough weapons to get it done.

Smitty’s Prediction:

Colts 34 Texans 10

(Yes I like this score) ​

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

If you hold true Mr Smitty, it will be a close one. Told you last week the Colts would not win by the large margin you predicted.
    Colts 2-0
    Mr Smitty 0-2

3. Smitty46953

Smitty46953 Starter

Mr. Hoffa, I am actually 2-0 as I have predicted the right winner. I am sure that very few get the points right. I actually hope it is a close one, more fun to watch in my opinion, just not as close as the Titans played us. I kept seeing another game winning field goal during that last Titan possession... I was happy to get out of there with a W... Good luck against the Saints... :))

4. Hoffa

BS
    That's not all you're doing there, you are also predicting the score, and your score predictions have been WAY OFF.

You predicted a close Colt victory over the Saints, and it wasn't even close.
    You predicted a not even close Colt victory over the Titans, and it was way close.

So, if you want to just pick the winner then leave off the score. If you want to pick the score, at least come close (which you haven't) or admit you were wrong.

Since you have been way off on both scores, whether you want to admit it or not, you are in fact Mr Smitty, OH AND TWO...:)

5. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

so smitty, basically you pick the same score for every game..

any a**hole can do that... btw, i think i speak for about everyone by saying...

...who cares?..im done with this thread

6. Smitty46953

Smitty46953 Starter

Yes, I was wrong with the score!!! I can live with that... Never said I was correct with the scores??? But what is your issue? If you don't like what I have posted then don't read it... I really see no intelligent football conversation from you, just condenscending opinions. At least I step up and try to add something constructive... Give it a shot sometime. :))

7. Smitty46953

Smitty46953 Starter

Actually I predict 34-10 as I have win 4 and lose 0 on a board... You are calling me an a**hole??? Just who are you and why would I care what you think of me??? As with Hoffa feel free to ignore my posts... Will not hurt my feelings in the least... And as for you speaking for everyone is in error as is your thinking or lack thereof ... :moon2:

8. Hoffa

You are a perfect Colt fan, you're just like Peyton.
    You won't take any blame yourself, You whine and cry like a baby and attack someone else whenever your criticised. :ha:

9. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Hoffa ....

back off a little tiger.

Slummy is a Colts fan that wants in ..... he has not given a point with out backing it up ... yet :suspect:

10. Smitty46953

Smitty46953 Starter

Perfect Colt fan??? Just like Peyton as I won't take any blame??? Blame for what??? As for whine and cry??? Where and when have I cried??? I belieive Hoffa, it is you that has gone on the attack??? Why because I am a rival fan which is ok with me... Guess your Panties are just knotted and in a bunch.:moon2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar