Smitty's Week Two Colts Preview

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Smitty46953, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitty46953

Smitty46953 Starter

Smitty’s 2007 Colts Week Two Preview​

Week Two​

Indianapolis Colts (1-0) @ Tennessee Titans (1-0)

Date & Time: Sunday September 16, 2007 @ 1:00 pm est.
    TV: CBS
    Radio: WFBQ Q-95 (94.7 FM) Local Indianapolis

Where: LP Field,
    Ticket Office
    One Titans Way
    Nashville, TN 37213
    615-565-4200
    Capacity: 68,798
    Surface: Grass, #419 Bermuda
    Odds: Colts -8, Over/Under 46
    Last Meeting: Colts 17 @ Titans 20 (12/30/2006)
    Last Week: Saints 10 @ Colts 41
    Titans 13 @ Jaguars 10

The Indianapolis Colts will be back in Nashville, Tennessee this Sunday seeking revenge over their loss last December. With the score all knotted up the Titans kicker Rob Bironas nailed a game winning 60 yard field goal, handing the Colts their second loss of the season. Thus giving our Gotitans.com trolls/friends ammo all off season and leading up to our first meeting of the 2007 campaign.

Last Weeks Games:
    The Indianapolis Colts defense had several question marks heading into the start of the 2007 season. Due to off-season player movements and a training camp injury to defensive tackle Anthony McFarland, Indianapolis has been forced to replace four defensive starters from a year ago.Last week against the powerful New Orleans Saints offensive juggernaut the Colts defense did not allow an offensive touchdown, while limiting New Orleans to a mere 159 yards of total offense. In doing so they held the Saints much talked about running game to only 58 total rushing yards. Looked like our defense was playing with the same attitude they took into the post season last year.While the Colts offense finally shook off the rust in the third quarter after playing to a 10-10 tie at the half. The Colts added 31 second half points to pull away with a 41-10 opening day victory.

The Tennessee Titans meanwhile celebrated a victory on the road at the hands of a division rival, the Jacksonville Jaguars. This puts the Titans atop the AFC South with a 1-0 record in division play. Chris Brown had a fantastic day running the ball 19 times while amassing 175 yards. While the passing game appeared to be lacking a go to receiver.

The Game:
    There's a pretty good chance that most of what happens this week at L.P. Field will revolve around what happens in the run game. The Colts struggled to stop the run during the regular season last year and I look for the Titans to once again attempt to exploit this perceived weakness. I look for the Titans to utilize the size of LenDale White against a much smaller defensive line than that of the Jaguars. With last weeks hero Chris Brown taking the reserve roll this week.

With perennial All-Pro Colt QB Peyton Manning, accompanied by his tremendous arsenal of receivers Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne and a solid tight end in Dallas Clark, the Titans defense will have its hands full stopping the pass on Sunday. If the Colts can establish the running game against the Titans, opening up the passing game, it could be a long afternoon for the Tennessee hopeful.

Tennessee Titan Keys For Success:

1. Don’t Fall behind: Should the Titans fall behind and have to relinquish their game plan and abandon the run. Then lookout the route will be on.

2. Utilize the play-action pass: The Colts will be focused on stuffing the run after watching the Titans' Chris Brown run rampant against the Jags last Sunday. The Colts safeties Bob Sanders and Antoine Bethea are aggressive run defenders who close on ballcarriers quickly. With a good play-action fake, Young can freeze the safeties and put them out of position long enough for wide receiver Brandon Jones or tight end Bo Scaife to get behind them for a big gain downfield.

3. Defend the stretch play: The stretch is the Colts' primary running play, and the Titans must be ready to defend it. Based on last Sundays game against the Saints it looks as though the Colts mostly run to the tight end side of the formation. Utecht will block down on the end, and the play-side tackle will pull outside to lead Joseph Addai. Titans defensive ends must anticipate the down block and fight through it. If they seal off the edge and force Addai back to the inside, the Titans could be successful Sunday.

4. Use nickel personnel on all downs: With the Colts running a no-huddle offense, it is difficult for opponents to substitute. The Titans will be best served to just keep their nickel package on the field. This would allow them to cover Colts Tight End Dallas Clark with a defensive back and have their best pass rushers on the field. However, they must be prepared to stop the run and not come flying off the ball with pass-rush moves.

Colts Keys For Success:

1. Read the Titan Defense: Quarterback Peyton Manning is a master at making pre-snap adjustments. He comes to the line with three plays and chooses the best, based on the look of the defense. He often will audible away and change the play. If the cornerbacks give the Colts' receivers large cushions, Manning will throw quick slants. If he sees the Titans playing bump-and-run coverage, he will fake the slant with a pump fake and hit Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne for a long one. The Titans must disguise their coverage and not be predictable; otherwise, Peyton will pick them apart.

2. Play Contain Vince Defense: The Colts must keep Quarterback Vince Young in the pocket and force him to be a dropback passer because he is most dangerous when out of the pocket and improvising. The Colt defensive ends must get upfield and collapse the pocket from the outside-in. If Young is allowed to escape to the sideline, Young will cash in for some huge plays.

3. Play Clark as a conventional tight end: The Colts use a two-tight end set in their base offense, with Clark primarily lined up in the slot and Ben Utecht playing tight next to an offensive tackle. Against the Saints, however, Clark often was covered by a defensive back when Indy used the two-tight end set. The few times he lined up as a conventional tight end, he was defended by linebackers and was able to blow by them with ease. Expect the Colts to take advantage of this mismatch often on Sunday.

4. Stop the run: Force the Titans to pass and abandon the running game. This will allow the Colt ends an opportunity to meet Vince Young upclose and personal.

Tidbits to Ponder:

Colts QB Peyton Manning has thrown career-high 164 consecutive passes without an INT, dating back to last season.

Manning finished with 125.4 passer rating vs. Saints, his 54th game with 100+ passer rating.

Manning’s record is now 93-52, career-best tying 41 games above .500.

Colts WR Reggie Wayne had 115 receiving yards and 2 TDs vs. the Saints; has 17 career games with 100+ receiving yards and 7 career multi-TD games.

Colts WR Marvin Harrison had 83 receiving yards vs. Saints to give him 13,780 for his career, passing WR Henry Ellard (13,777) for 5th on NFL’s all-time list.

Titans have won 7-of-8 games dating back to last season.

Titans are 5-3 when QB Vince Young runs for a TD.

Titans ran for franchise-record 282 yards vs. Jaguars in Week One.

Titans RB Chris Brown ran for career-high 175 yards on 19 carries vs. Jaguars.

Adam “Pac Man” Jones (TEN - CB) Jones won a pro wrestling tag team world championship on Sunday, the Tennessean reports. (RotoWire - Tue. Sep 11, 2007) Sorry but this was a Match worth missing.

My Take:
    I look for the Colts to jump out to a quick lead. This will force the Titans away from their game plan and force them to play catch up with their passing game, allowing the Colt defense to get after the Titans Quarterback Vince Young. The Saints Jason David will say “I told ya so” to his old buddy Nick Harper of the Titans after he gets his turn against his ex-team mates Wayne and Harrison.

Smitty’s Prediction:

Colts 34 Titans 10

2. BronzeHammer

BronzeHammer Guest

With the exception of the incorrect records (did I miss some games?), the poor grammar/sentence structure throughout, and the spotty coverage of the Titans' much improved defense (as evidenced last week), that was a decent to good analysis of teams. I also think it was pretty critical to not make prominent mention of the fact that you're predicting a blowout when the last two games have been really close (split record). That being said, while I appreciate the effort for new analysis of games, I think this sort of thing can be done for any game. That's not a jab at you, just at the obviousness of NFL commentary.

For example, most teams don't like playing from behind, giving up big pass plays, allowing tons of rushing yards, etc.

I do hope Vince has a better throwing game, however.

3. mdfan

mdfan Starter

[​IMG]

Your interception stats are either off or a bit misleading (yes the Colts did win that game)

And I do think the game will be a whole lot closer

4. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Thankyou Mrs. Brutus for the detailed analysis.
    Good job.

Although i might not agree with everything i've read, i do agree with some parts including the 'Tennessee Titans Keys For Success' part. I also agree that if the Dolts are able to stop our run it would be a long day for the Titans. We practically will have a hard time moving the ball any and controlling the TOP if not for solid rushing.

Look out for Lendale to have a big game this time.

Your end of game score prediction might be somewhat off. I see the score being a little closer.

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Great job Smitty.

I noted how you subtly predict we'll beat the Saints. Classy.:ha:

It's you who'll be 2 -1 though.:yes:

6. Nine

Nine Starter

Even if the Colts do jump out to an early lead....what makes you think the Titans would abandon the running game?

Last year, the Titans trailed the Colts 14-0, were down 14-3 at Washington, and 21-0 to the Giants; but instead of abandoning the run, they used it to control the tempo of the game and establish momentum....and eventually came back to win each game.

The key to beating the Colts is running the ball at all costs. The Titans and Cowboys trailed the Colts in the 4th quarter; the Colts and Texans were deadlocked with them late in the game. In each case, the opponent drove the ball down the Colts' throats for 4 quarters, wore them down, and ultimately won the game.

Few teams have the guts to stick with the plan and run the ball for four quarters.....but for those teams that do, it's guaranteed to work.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Good point, Nine, I was getting ready to make it.

Smitty, a lot of your points are on, but I think your final score is well off the mark. I see no reason to expect the Colts to stop the Titans' rushing game. We'll have more than 10 points for sure.

As for the colts, the range stretches from 0-50. I don't know what to expect from our defense. I hope for improvement, but know that this will be a big test.

8. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

34-10?!

Not so fast my friend!!!

9. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I'd rather see Starkillers analysis of the game.

10. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

34-10 is entirely possible, but it would mean Vince would have to have another bad day passing. People have made the mistake of believing he is a poor downfield passer, and assume to beat him you must force him to drop back and throw. He isn't a poor passer, he is an inconsistent passer - very different. When he's on he's on, and last meeting he had some beautiful passes - Scaife for 20 yards, Roby for 21, Bennett for a 20 TD, Wade for 18, Hartsock for 16, and Jones for a nice 9 yd TD in traffic.

Last meeting Manning threw for 351 yards, Harrison with 172 yards including a 68 yard TD. Classic Colts, but the Titans continued to run and kept themselves in the game. Too many teams make the mistake of thinking you have to get in a shootout with the Colts - the Titans have learned that the quick striking of their offense puts their defense in a very bad position. If you can keep the D on the field for a long drive, and the Colts score quickly, then you can take control of the game (even from behind) by wearing down the D.

The Titans probably won't get with winning with less than 20 points, so the red zone execution must improve from last week, but this is a very different defense. They don't give you a lot of looks, they try to beat you with speed. If the Titans continue to run the ball the speed won't last into the 3rd Q. At home, coming off a huge "upset", and playing against a team they have had mysterious success against recently. Schwartz has his critics, but even those people admit he and Fisher have Manning and the Colts figured out. 23-21 Titans. Extra tidbit - I see the defense scoring on a Manning fumble when his rookie left tackle lets Manning get hit from his blind side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar