So, I finally finished GTA IV.

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Deuce Wayne, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

And man, I have a lot of complaints. So here we go...

1. I don't know why Rockstar thinks we want to be friends with game characters. Sure, Little Jacob is cool, but do I really want to go hang out with him every day of my virtual life? No. I don't want to go bowling with him. I don't want to go bowling with my REAL friends, much less an animated one.
    Seriously - what's the point here? It becomes annoying to get a phone call from 4 different characters a day that want to do some repetitive task that I never wanted to try again after the first time. This is one thing the game could have done without. Maybe if I'm ever lonely enough to have friendships with nonexistent characters, I'll play GTA IV again...but I've got 2 real friends (Mom counts), so it's not happening any time soon.

2. I've never been hit by a car, shot by an AK47, or fallen off a 2 story building - but if one of these things did ever happen, the last thing I think I'd do is look for a hot-dog vendor or a Cluckin' Bell. First Aid kits have worked well in other games, but no...here an effin hot dog or soda heals bullet wounds.
    Reminds me of the game 'Bully' where you actually had a bed time. Made also by Rockstar, so go figure. Next we'll have to poop mid-mission. And I'll ignore that feature as well. Then let Kate try to diss my clothing because I have poo stains. Let her. It's not as if her granny cardigan was doing anything for me. Seriously Kate - it's 2008. Nobody wears cardigans anymore. Especially to weddings, you cheap bore. At least Michelle gave it up.
    Which brings me to my next complaint...

3. Dates. Now, I know there are some sickos out there that are actually getting some enjoyment out of these things, but I'm not. Half these women don't know how to keep from being hit by moving vehicles, and then I'm to blame? Niko is no picnic-in-the-park kinda guy. I live in the fast lane, and you know what's in the fast lane? CARS. Avoid them or find a new date. Also, why after I kill these women they call me back from the hospital? If this was so much like real life, we'd just move on to their sister.

4. Living in the fast lane was no exaggeration. I'd bet 90% of the gameplay in GTA4 was spent in a vehicle. Why in every mission do I have to drive 30 minutes across town to do the same mission I did on the side of town I'm currently at? As realistic as this game is, I was complaining the entire time about the prices of gas while sitting on my couch.
    Hey Niko...drive over to Bell Station, get a Van. Then drive 200 miles across the state to the spot Ray is hanging out. THEN follow him around for another 10 minutes. Eventually, you'll get to shoot something and do it all over again the very next mission!

5. Chasing people. Racing people. If I wanted a racing game, I would have bought one...BRUCIE. If I wanted to play darts or pool, I'd be drunken loser with no life. But I want to shoot things, blow things up, kill prostitutes, and eliminate an entire police force, so I thought I had the right game. I don't want to see some lame cabaret show, or strippers with boobs that have razor sharp edges. I don't want to see Katt Williams try to be funny. Nobody wants to do these things in real life, so why on a video game?

6. Oh, you just drove cross country, chased a guy, killed a building full of guys but you died from running over a propane tank on your way out? Well, do it all over again! Every bit! No check points. Why? I shouldn't have to do an entire mission over again because I died by my own fault. But then again, this game tried to torture me every other way, so this only makes sense.

7. Rockstar - you made a name off senseless virtual killing. Don't try to have some sort of moral underlining in the story where Niko feels "empty" for beating a guy dead with a baseball bat for 10 solid minutes after that guy had killed his friends in the past. I know Niko felt better, because I did...and I didn't even have the bat in my hand. Niko is hardcore. Don't try to give us the choice to ruin his legacy by letting people live and taking the "money". The money is a number in the top right-hand corner of my screen. I had 500,000 dollars. What am I going to spend that on? Cab rides to hot-dog stands? Lap dances from jagged women with no booty? C'mon... go back to your roots, or just stop it.

So there. No one will probably read this, and that's ok. I just had to get it off my chest. This game took a while for me to beat, but was crazy repetitive with it being mostly driving around. NCAA 09 is here on Tuesday, so I think I'll be trading GTA in for it, depending on the trade value.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

You pretty much said what I think about GTA as a whole.

3. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

That was pretty funny Gloat, and all true.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

BUT....

You did finish the game.

Which brings me to a question... Should I buy this game? My friend has been trying to talk me into for awhile so we can play online.

My thing is, I really liked GTA3. Vice City and San Andreas, I just played the friend's copies, but I was so burned out from 3, that I never felt like buying either one. Basically, a lot of fun, but extremely repetitive.

I just bought two new controllers and have a pre-order in for NCAA, so I was thinking that was enough $$$ spent on PS3 for awhile.

Basically Gloat, your post here and your other post about this game makes me think I will get bored of it very quickly. But you played it enough to finish it... so is it worth it?

5. Deuce Wayne

That's mainly it. I got tired of this one pretty quickly. I lost interest in the story quick and never found myself just wanting to play it. I play at night though, so I finished it just to finish it.
    If I were you, I'd just rent it and see if you like it. It's not as fun as San Andreas or Vice City.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Thanks.

One more question... Did you like the driving style in GTAIV better, worse, or equal to the other games?

That concerned me, I really enjoyed the simple old style, but the new style sounded fun...

7. Deuce Wayne

I couldn't tell much difference, really. It's still hard to control, but you get used to it after a while. Bad camera angles while driving happen frequently though. I had to manually move the camera coming around corners and going over hills or else I couldn't see what's there.

8. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I co-sign all of your sentiments. Although this game felt the least tedious, it's still pretty damn tedious and repetitive. I sold this game for a DuelShock3 controller, so that tells you how much I really valued the game afterwords. Good game, but lost a lot of steam after you leave Queens IMO.

9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I rented the game. I hated it. Gloat was right. The last couple days I had the game rented, I just ran around with cheat codes killing people.

10. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Can't wait for NCAA09 and Madden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar