Some more Schwartz talk.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SupDawg, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

My point in this thread is to talk about Schwartz's ability to coach. I did some research and my findings were very interesting.

People who seem to defend Schwartz say that our rankings don't tell the whole story of how well our defense is playing. They say that most of the yards and points he allows are "garbage" yards & points. Some people say we don't have any talent.

There are a few vocal posters here that want him gone. There are a few who in vain try to defend him beyond all reproach. Still after 6 years here, our defense is still struggling. Sure, I understand we went through the salary cap purge last year, and two of his years we were decimated by injuries. Ultimately, I don't like excuses. Every coach in the NFL deals will adversity. It's a part of the NFL lexicon. At the end of the day, results are the only thing that matters.

And the proof is in the numbers.

Since the salary cap came into effect in 1994, the average rank of Superbowl champ in scoring defense was 3.25. The real truth of the matter is there hasn't been a super bowl champs to have a scoring defense rank of greater than 8th in the league.

Since Schwartz took over the defense in 2001, the Titans’ average scoring defense rank was 22.83. 22nd in the league average over a 6 year time frame, and this guy still has his job. The real damning evidence that Schwartz just doesn’t get it is that he made the 2nd rank scoring defense in 2000 turn into the 11th rank within two years. I will discount the 2001 season as injuries, but considering he took over that year, I really wonder.

I don’t harbor delusions of grandeur hoping that G. Williams will come back to us. And if you’re wondering, the average rank of Gregg’s defenses in his four years was 10.25. And he left at the height of most of the Titans' defensive careers.

You see people; we will never win a Superbowl with Schwartz as our DC. He has had six years of opportunities here. Schwartz was a failed experiment, and Jeff Fisher is too loyal and too stubborn to admit he was wrong to promote Jim. :irked:

Jim does not defy the laws of physics here. The bottom line is that no matter how you slice it, defensive scoring rank is probably the most important stat to gauge SB success. So forget the "garbage" time yards and points. They do matter.

I am giddy we have turned our season around. Rest assured Schwartz doesn't have a lot to do with it. I credit Vince and our offense more than Schwartz.

Schwartz needs to be replaced at the end of the year if we ever want go to that next level. I fear this turnaround may be his saving grace. I hope not.

2. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

So when your defense has been this bad for the last few years, your first two draft picks are a QB and a RB. Maybe it's not Swartz that needs to go. In fairness, a powerfull offense will mask a bad defense to an extent. TOP will whittle numbers down. The Colts have been doing it for years, but people have learned how to beat them now. With our cap being so high for next year, I would wait and see how Swartz does with some more talent that we desperately need.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

www.drafthistory.com

go back and look how many defensive players we have taken on the first day....no no, in the first round.

4. plato

plato Camp Fodder

Wow!

Last 10 drafts.

97,99,00,01,02,03,05 We took a defensive player with our #1 pick.. 7 times

98, 04, 06 We took a offensive player with our #1 pick.. 3 times

5. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Defense wins championships.

6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Defense and Attitude win championships. We have neither.. And still we have people calling for more money to be thrown at free agents on the defensive side of the ball. :suspect: That should tell you something, that we need to pay proven stars to come play for us, and MASK our terrible coaching.:grrr: You would think from a financial standpoint to just replace the coaching and get a better return on your initial investments(draft picks). It just makes more sense from the monetary standpoint.

7. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

Well, from what I've seen stated by both sides is, Schwartz has suffered from poor execution and talent, but then again has failed to game plan/coach up marginal talent. It's not easy finding someone who can whip a mean streak into sub-par talent or get the most out of extremely talented individuals. We'll have to see what happens. This off-season will be very interesting for us.

8. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

I must admit, it is a bit unfair to compare Schwartz with Williams. Williams is one of the NFL's greatest defensive minds, and routinely makes overachievers out of any player.

You don't want to be the man to come after the legend, you want to be that guy's replacement.

Schwartz is an average DC at best. I just can't stand mediocrity. That's all the guy will ever be. I have waited and waited hoping he'd take it to the next level. I really haven't seen any progression from his schemes since day one here.

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

SupDawg, thank you for keeping things in focus during this winning high that we're on. Keep it up.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

And yet the Skins D is ranked 24th giving up just 20 yards less a game than Schwartz.

So the difference between an idiot and a genius is 5%?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar