Someone enlighten me on this "hater" term

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I've seen it used around here a lot. I can't tell if it is used in jest or what the deal with it is. I am finding some take offense to it and want it ranked in there with other name-calling terms. I tend to agree.

Someone who uses it please share a bit on what it's all about.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

IMHO, accusing someone of being a hater means that they have some strong dislike of that player, and will nitpick that person and attack anything they can, and if they have nothing, they'll make something up. Generally, someone I thought was "hating" on someone has less credibility because their opinion gets in the way of their using objective fact in discussion. I'd say a hater usually ignore arguments against his position, because he's "right'. I might add more later, think that's generally it...

3. maximus

maximus Starter

Pretty good definition. A hater is anyone who consistantly hates on someone or something.
    Dont hate, appreciate:)

4. maximus

maximus Starter

Hater is a relatively new word to the slang vocabulary. I dont remember hearing it consistently before I started HS which was back in 2001.

5. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

A hater is someone who finds problems with somone or a thing, for either 1) silly or absurd reasons 2) becomes fixated on disling something or 3) is spiteful and comes off as bitter about something.

A hater is too often confused with simple dislike. Hating is usually pretty extreme and almost always illogical.

Example: Most of the Manning bashing, especially recently.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Kami might say I need to get the hate out of my eyes...

This does not offend me because because I know at times my irrational hatred of Manning is just that...irrational. I do not feel that this is an offensive term. There is a word for someone who calls someone "hater" and that is "annoying". That's all it is. If a post is annoying I believe the general advice is to just disregard. I haven't really seen a bunch of people saying "hater this" and "hater that"...

If you make hater a swear what's next? Homer?

I'd rather stick to the universally offensive system...

7. maximus

maximus Starter

The Manning bashing is logical, he's a Colt, he's a whinner, he's a pansy, nuff said. Its not hatin, its smack talkin:winker:

8. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Hating

Hating is not a bad word. It's evolved over the past few years from a simple adjective into a noun, pronoun, adverb and action verb. Let me give you some examples.

If someone says something about someone that you like, i.e., someone says something about Lamont Thompson, Tank Williams or Keith Bulluck, I'll call them a "hater".

If I'm wearing my hair in a new hairstyle, some jeans or a shirt that one of my girls doesn't like and she makes a negative comment, I'll call her a hater. Or say, "Don't hate."

One of my friends dated a guy for a while and things didn't turn out too well and he started things up back up with his baby's Mama. My girl was hanging out with me and my boyfriend one night and we started talking about her ex-boyfriend and his baby Mama. My boyfriend said, "Ya'll quit hating."

One of my best friends just closed on a great condo. Our little group of friends all went over to her place to check it out. As I walked in her front door I gave her a hug and said, "Ohhh girl, I am SO hating on you. This place is great!"

So, hating isn't a bad word and shouldn't be counted among name-calling words.

TitanJeff, stop hating on "hating":ha:

9. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Oh TitanJeff, I LOVE you! Thanks for hooking me up!

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You're welcome. Makes me wanna cookie.

Just so I'm 100% here. No one takes it personally being called a "hater"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar