Someone enlighten me on this "hater" term

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is opposite meaning here people don't be fooled.... Brian is the King Hater and the perfect example of what a Hater is.... He Hates on Andre more than the world hated on He Hate Me when he was in the XFL......
    TRUTH

THE ONE THING HATERS USUALLY LACK!!!!!!

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]

3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Jeff, the term is also used in jest. for example, me and Kam on the chat room at game time:

K: Twan just scored a third TD!
    me: It's a fluke...he won't do that again this year
    K: Hater!

Obviously, he doesn't mean it literally.

Also, the word is spelled correctly, but mispronounced: It's "ha-in' " (silent T), as in "Done be ha-in!" (long O in "done"...."don't be hating", both with silent Ts.)

The only time that it becomes truly objectionable is when used in the political context, which is against TOS here:
    #1: "I object to GW's foreign policy"
    #2: "You hate America!"

I don't see it as being a term that should be bannable in the context of a sports forum. In the coloquial context, "Don't be hatin" is equivilent to "be nice!". Calling someone a "hater" is the polar opposite of calling someone a "homer", which leads down the slippery slope of "homer" being used as an objectionable term.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

In this context, I think it clearly is wrong.

Sorry, folks. If it is used like this, it'll be moderated in the future.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Gotcha Jeff.

Just for my two cents, I don't take it personally either. While I think it's an overused term, and often used as an excuse by some, it's a valid response in some situations, and is a familiar expression to most. I think people can get annoyed when it's misapplied, but sometimes it's an accurate term.

I had a long paragraph with examples of my opinions of some haters on here, but figured that would probably bother people more than be a positive example. I will say I don't think I'm a "hater" on LT, just because I don't think he showed enough during the season to be resigned.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

:stupid:

:brow:

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm sure a lot of negative, personal comments are not taken personally by all and are a valid response in certain situations. But I've had some tell me they are offended by its use. That's why it might be best to just look at it in the context used.

8. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

Agreed. It is all in the context.
    IMO, the replies that start out "That is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard" or "Have you ever watched a football game" is more tacky than "hater". But I do understand that on it's own, the word sounds worse.

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Oh, c'mon, Jeff! Some people are offended by everything from Mozart to mistletoe, and cannot comprehend the fact that there is no such thing as a right to be unoffended. If you're getting PMs to that effect, then you need to let them know that nobody is going to get preferential treatment just because they're a pansy.

there went another 10%....

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

in the great words of Stacy Keach "Wussy!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar